1992 Honda civic vx I can not get it to pass smog I have high nox - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #11
Registered Member

I removed the old gasket and installed the new one the car is idling normal, I will run the the car for the week and then take it too get smoged on Friday. I hope that cleaning was all it needed!

villa92vx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #12
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
It's very common for people to neglect to clean the exhaust side of the EGR.

Also check the timing according to the label under the hood.

Use the Seafoam product especially if you're up around 200k.

And make sure the correct plugs are installed. Most auto parts stores will sell you the wrong plugs. But the correct part number is written on the timing belt cover.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
Registered Member

Well after removing the old gasket and reconecting every thing , I checked for vacuum leaks none found, I went for a test drive I conected my multi meater to the egr solinoid valve and found I was still at the same place I had started at, solinoid only turns on at about 3500 to 3800 rpm, this will never allow me to pass smog. As a final desperate mesure I connected a hose to the solinoid valve and ran the other end inside the car, drove the car with the hose in my mouth and confirmed that a: my solinoid valve works. b: I am getting vacuum to the egr, but only after 3500-3800rpm. This finding made me think about my ecu and how it's the only thing I haven't changed so I went to a local place
Old 04-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #14
Registered Member

Called "The G Spot Automotive" they had 4 ecu po7 I swapedthe ecu and tested the car with my hose still connected to the solinoid and I got vacuum as soon as tried to take off and the engine sounded quieter. Took the car to smog today and it passed no problem. My best mpg before the fix has been 33mpg I'm hoping that my mpg will increase .
Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 PM   #15
Registered Member

it has been allmost a year since that fix the best mpg i get is 33 no mater if drive nice or im hard on the petal it only gets 33mpg . i can say a couple things that might affect this is i have 205/50/15" tires, i have two head gasket bolts broken, oil leak, my vx is a 49 state civic and my ecu is the cali type, the car has coil over springs and was droped. how much will this affect me? what can i do?

loosing hope.. on the fence about selling it.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:35 PM   #16
Registered Member

33mpg is around what I was getting before doing tune up and getting O2 sensor and idle issues fixed, but you said you did all that, another thing is you can checking timing, and idle and timing belt. Putting proper suspension and tires in place would help to, but is gonna cost you a bit, and if you have any other "performance" mods get rid of it as well. I got close to 300k on one of my vxes and it's still getting over 40-45 mpg ALL THE TIME, even if I tow my jet sky and such, so it does sound like you got a sucker, and may be trading it for something else may be the best thing to do
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:10 PM   #17
Registered Member

Broken head bolts....might want to check compression, also vacuum. Do you consume coolant? Tires might be a trifle wide for best FE, although it should stay on the road better running up and down Angeles Crest (whenever they reopen it!). Oil leak shouldn't affect FE, but it may ban your car from friends' driveways. Lowering: See above about mountain driving, may possibly improve mileage slightly. Perhaps the type of driving you do? All freeway or around town? How does the car run otherwise? Do a cost-benefit analysis before you throw it away...33mpg ain't THAT bad...maybe it is for that car, but in the long run it is better than most people get.

I had a Chevette about 15-20 years ago. When I bought it it got low 30s. My wife was rear-ended one day...after that, despite everything I did, I couldn't get over 21 or 22 mpg. The car tracked fine, I tuned up everything in sight. Around town, driving gently on the freeway or blasting up Angeles Crest/Angeles Forest highways, same MPG. Ran great otherwise (except when things broke, which they did often-however it was an easy car to fix). Never have figured out what happened...

Dick Naugle says: 1. Prepare food fresh. 2. Serve customers fast. 3. Keep place clean.

GasSavers_JoeBob is offline   Reply With Quote