1992 VX LAF (O2) Sensor Replacement - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2008, 12:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Postscript: I replaced the LAF sensor last week. I followed all my fellow posters recommendations. The old VX now runs much better than before-no Check Engine light, much smoother idle, and I'm able to get the rpm's up when slipping the clutch to get going from a standing start up hills again! There's no substitute for having the correct tools to do a job; it only took about 20 minutes to take care of this one.

Considering how much it cost for the OEM LAF sensor (even the item mentioned by djenyc, which is less than what I paid), this is not something a DIY mechanic should try to take shortcuts on. The LAF sensor on the VX is a major part of the technology that enables this model to get such outstanding gas mileage. Make sure to use proper tools and installation protocols, and the job will go smoothly.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #12
Registered Member

If your sensor is the same size as mine you can take a boxed end wrench run plug and the wires through the opening right down onto the sensor. No special tool needed.

#47 on my way to #1
Ford Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 12:08 PM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Man View Post
If your sensor is the same size as mine you can take a boxed end wrench run plug and the wires through the opening right down onto the sensor. No special tool needed.
On some cars that would probably work. But the VX 5-wire sensor has a bulky connector at the end, too big to fit through the wrench.

Also, it's a good idea to torque the new one to spec, and that's basically impossible without the right tool.

The right tool (either a socket with a slot, or a crow's-foot socket) will also help deal with clearance issues. On a VX with A/C, space in this area is a little tight.

I've heard Autozone will loan you the tool for free.

monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote