1992 VX LAF (O2) Sensor Replacement - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

1992 VX LAF (O2) Sensor Replacement

Had problems with rough idle/running and Check Engine light on my '92 VX (166K). Took it the shop: they diagnosed LAF (O2) sensor failure. Said shop wanted to charge me nearly $600 to replace it ($500 for the part, about $90 for the install). I thought these prices were ridiculously high, so to the web I went. I found the OEM part at Majestic Honda for $350 w/shipping.

I now want to install the sensor myself. The shop told me that one must use a "special socket" to install the sensor to avoid damaging the wiring and harness. They also told me that the car's computer must be "reset". For this they want to charge me over $90. In light of this I have a few questions:

1. Is this "special socket" really necessary, or can I just use a box or open end wrench to do the install?

2. Most computers just need a cutoff of their power supply (such as disconnecting the battery) to effect a reboot or "reset". Is this the case with the VX, or is there some special protocol I have to follow?

The Chilton Manual I've got contains nothing whatsoever about LAF or O2 sensor replacement...

Greatly appreciate any helpful responses...

Old 05-20-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Registered Member

I changed my oxy sensor on my cavalier (quite a while ago) and the "special tool" was a socket with a groove cut into it so the wire could hang free.

I got my "special tool" from autozone (maybe advance auto) for $15 on the loan a tool program and brought it back at which time they refunded my $15 and I was good to go. I am not sure if you can do the loan a tool thing if you don't buy the part from them but it is worth a shot.

the install on my cavalier was really easy. good luck to you.

*edit* it was easier when I had the funny socket. I guess you could do the same thing with an open ended wrench though. I can only speak for my car, not all cars.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Does your CEL stay on all the time or is it intermittent? Sometimes an engine with a misfiring problem will trigger a code 48.

Make sure you don't throw away a perfectly good LAF sensor when it may be something else is really at fault.
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Registered Member

gork57 - you can get original L1H1 sensor from quality_auto_parts on ebay for $180 shipped:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/quality_auto_parts

See my post in this thread for details
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=2121

Ross
djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Here's the procedure to reset the ECU.

Engine off. Under the hood is a fuse/relay box, on the passenger side near the firewall. Inside is a fuse marked "BACK UP."

Remove that fuse. Wait 10 seconds. Put it back. You're done.
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:40 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
Does your CEL stay on all the time or is it intermittent? Sometimes an engine with a misfiring problem will trigger a code 48.

Make sure you don't throw away a perfectly good LAF sensor when it may be something else is really at fault.
CEL stays on all the time. The shop I took the car to is honest, and specializes in Hondas, so I do trust their evaluation. The price they quoted is simply outrageous-especially for something I can DIY.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Registered Member

When you put the new one in, the service manual indicates it should be torqued to 33 lb-ft.

Also, it's a good idea to cover the threads with anti-seize lubricant. You can get a little tube of Permatex Anti-Seize Lubricant 133A. That product is designed to work right with O2 sensors. Don't use a product that isn't known to be sensor-safe.

You can use that same stuff on spark plugs.

A nice selection of O2-sensor tools is here: http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/vehic...sor-tools.html

I got the socket-style, but I wish I had gotten the crows-foot style. I think it would work a little better on my car (VX).
monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

We just took a deep well socket and cut a rectangular hole in it for the wires and plug. not sure if it would work on a 5 wire and my senso should be good for another 100K. I guess I will see if it works then.

regards
gary
Old 05-20-2008, 02:05 PM   #9
Registered Member

Thanks all for your assistance. I should be able to take it from here. Great to find a place with views on fuel consumption similar to my own. GasSavers.org is a godsend!
Old 05-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #10
Registered Member

As for O2 sensor sockets, I found this nifty 22mm set on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/OEM-27110-Oxyg.../dp/B00062ZK5M

This set comes with both "deep well with slot" and "crow's foot" style sockets. I'm an Amazon Prime member, so it will only cost me about $20 to have it shipped to me tomorrow.