2002 Civic EX Coupe Sunroof Glass - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Registered Member

2002 Civic EX Coupe Sunroof Glass

Got a problem here. My wife's 2002 Civic Coupe caught a rock on the sunroof, cracking it all over the place (it has not fallen in, but looks like it could with a hard bump). I've searched around the web, and found a replacement for around $100 or so; a new one goes for over $400. The question is, how do you replace it? My Haynes manual has nothing on the sunroof at all, and for some reason my PDF Honda manual won't load on my new computer. Any help would be appreciated. If anyone knows where I can find a how-to with photos that would be great...

Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
I don't know anything about replacing it, but perhaps an alternate PDF reader can load the PDF?
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader
http://portableapps.com/apps/office/...a_pdf_portable

Old 07-16-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

I downloaded a UK version of the manual a while back. According to it, you start by closing the sun roof all the way and sliding back the sun shade. Looking up from below, the left and right sides of the glass panel should each have a cover, held on by one screw each. Remove the screws and covers. Under each cover you should see two nuts holding the glass panel to a bracket on the motor mechanism. Remove the nuts and any shims between the bracket and glass panel. At this point, the panel should just lift up and out of the car.
Mind you, this is from the 4-door section of the manual. The 2-door section doesn't say anything about a sunroof, so YMMV.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:00 AM   #4
Registered Member

I did manage to replace the panel myself. It was pretty simple: just had to remove the screws holding the two covers on. I then removed the nuts holding the panel on, and it came right off. To put on the new one, I did the process in reverse, making sure the panel lined up with the roof properly. As stated by bobski, there are shims that fit under the mounting bolts you can add/remove to accomplish this. Thanks for your help, friends!