$79 5 wire O2 sensor - who has bought one? - Page 13 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #121
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
One more thing, he said I wouldn't be able to solder the wires together. Because you use led to solder and led would interfere with the very sensitive o2 sensor's wires sensing of resistance, which is what he said the wires do.
Lead on the o2 sensor is one thing, but lead in solder to solder the wires are two totally different things. Lead solder used to make two wires stick will not affect the characteristics of the electrical signal to the ECU.

In reference to your comment about your mechanic... Yeah, take info from both source (we are your source as well as your mechanic) and decide what to do with it. We're happy to help .

About your O2 sensor, I wish you had it so you can give it to me. That would have been worth something to me.

Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:47 PM   #122
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
If you notice the sensor has a blue wire which to my knowledge only came on the L2H2 sensor. For my 92 VX at least, the L2H2 sensor did not function properly (code 41 - sensor heater).
Very weird. I have an ebay bought L2H2 [with the blue wire] in my 92 VX and before I changed it out I was throwing a code [47 or 48 I think] but afterwards no code. Yes, the bloody CEL bulb works and I guess the sensor does too. 'Splain that to me.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #123
Junior Mint

Quote:
About your O2 sensor, I wish you had it so you can give it to me. That would have been worth something to me.Gary
Are you looking for a bad L1H1? I still have the one I pulled off my VX.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #124
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Lead on the o2 sensor is one thing, but lead in solder to solder the wires are two totally different things. Lead solder used to make two wires stick will not affect the characteristics of the electrical signal to the ECU.

In reference to your comment about your mechanic... Yeah, take info from both source (we are your source as well as your mechanic) and decide what to do with it. We're happy to help .

About your O2 sensor, I wish you had it so you can give it to me. That would have been worth something to me.

Gary
Indeed... it would have been worth something to me too!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 PM   #125
Registered Member

dogncatboy: my mileage doesn't seem to be much affected. I actually did experience ever so slight of a hesitation when going from neutral to 4th gear driving home just now, which leads me to believe the o2 sensor is doing its job, or at least something. The mechanic said it's doing something, but whether it's on the too lean or too rich side of things is unknown. In other words, putting a disconnected o2 sensor in the place of the current one would not be the same since this one is doing something. He said that might have potential problems for my engine, including "fouling the spark plugs."

I'm still waiting to hear from TomO or other VX owners as to whether some hesitation is normal operating characteristic of the 5 wire o2 sensor and/or the healthy/normal characteristic of the lean burn, or how much hesitation or engine stumble is normal. I know I've read articles about a stumble being normal for lean burn, but no one has actually imparted their experience of their lean burn or o2 sensor functioning.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM   #126
Registered Member

A CEL that comes on intermittently is NOT normal.

It means, in this case, your VX's emission system is not as clean as it could/should be and might not pass the smog test of certain US states. The primary reason for the code 48 is the VX is running either too lean or too rich and this pollutes. The LAF sensor's function is to keep the engine in the sweet spot - excellent mpg - low pollution. Your new, properly functioning LAF sensor may actually be telling you that you've got other problems to solve that are unrelated to the sensor itself - lol!

You're right - it might mean squat having this little yellow light adding to the ambience of your instrument panel. But I just hate CEL's. They are telling you that "your car is now officially a P.O.S." !!!
jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #127
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
A CEL that comes on intermittently is NOT normal.

It means, in this case, your VX's emission system is not as clean as it could/should be and might not pass the smog test of certain US states. The primary reason for the code 48 is the VX is running either too lean or too rich and this pollutes. The LAF sensor's function is to keep the engine in the sweet spot - excellent mpg - low pollution. Your new, properly functioning LAF sensor may actually be telling you that you've got other problems to solve that are unrelated to the sensor itself - lol!

You're right - it might mean squat having this little yellow light adding to the ambience of your instrument panel. But I just hate CEL's. They are telling you that "your car is now officially a P.O.S." !!!
Yeah, I agree. Very frustrating that my old o2 sensor was essentially destroyed. My car passed emissions with that o2 sensor. I got a reply back from Global-Automotive. Looks to be totally nonsensical reply, but I will await judgment from other VX owners!

Old 10-25-2007, 06:57 PM   #128
Registered Member

Dear global-automotive,

My o2 sensor I bought from you is throwing code 48 (LAF: Lean Air Fuel Sensor) I am requesting a replacement part that will work! Please contact me about exchanging my o2 sensor for a working 5 wire L1H1 o2 sensor. Thanks,
Jason

Global-Automotive's reply:
Dear Valued Customer,

That is the problem. The item we sell is an "OXYGEN SENSOR", not an "AIR FUEL RATIO" sensor. These two parts look the same, but are very different. The two cannot be interchanged.

Looks like you purchased the wrong part or your trying to install on a position that is incorrect.

We suggest to all customers that they use a certified mechanic to install all parts. This is what they went to school for.

Thanks,
Management

Old 10-25-2007, 07:01 PM   #129
*shrug*

Tell them they're full of **** and file a complaint. Link the auction?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #130
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogncatboy View Post
Very weird. I have an ebay bought L2H2 [with the blue wire] in my 92 VX and before I changed it out I was throwing a code [47 or 48 I think] but afterwards no code. Yes, the bloody CEL bulb works and I guess the sensor does too. 'Splain that to me.
BTW, not my quote...

jadziasman - I agree, cel is not "normal".

Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote