$79 5 wire O2 sensor - who has bought one? - Page 18 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #171
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Thanks for asking Garyh. CE light is still coming on but I haven't done anything about it. Dunno what to do really. But it seems to be doing its job. I could pay $15 to find out if it is polluting more than before, which I guess would tell me whether it is working properly. The light still stays off once the car is warm. But, yeah, I think it is helping the mileage. This tank hasn't been nearly as good, tho. i think maybe it wasn't filled up to the tippy top, or maybe just different driving. It sure *sounded* like it was filled to the top. Haven't been driving as efficient anyway. Some highway driving but only at 60-65mph. But still faster than the 40s and 50s I was doing on a regular basis last tank. This tank I have been accelerating faster as well and driving faster overall. Probably be around 50mpg I'm thinking for this tank. I also had a bad master cylinder leak on me which prolly didn't help the FE much. That was toward the first half of the tank. That's been fixed, car is running fine now. Clutch pedal travel felt shorter right when it stopped working properly, and now it still feels short. Oh well. Nothing too major. How is your conversion coming along?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #172
Registered Member

Good to hear the car is still running good enough even with the CEL issue.

Regarding the clutch master cylinder, they do have an adjustment on them, and my guess is that the mechanic who installed it, didn't adjust it the same as your last one, so that is probably why the pedal feels a little shorter now.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:02 AM   #173
Registered Member

Hey Jacinto!
Can't find the time to do the conversion (not yet at least). This week I will put in my ebay ECU in the car and try to start it with the new brain. If that works, I'm going to buy a Bosch 13246 sensor at Kragens for $199. I only heard of one post where this sensor threw a CEL lite but most people have said it worked for them. I was thinking, the earlier 13246 used the Honda sensor. I hope they didn't replace it with cheaper versions or variants of the L1H1, but since it's being sold under the same model # I'll chance it.

I finally got a hold of lc3, the guy who did the first conversion. He's local to me so I think if I run into issues I can look at his car.

Anyways, I'll keep ya (and the list) posted.

I think I've reach the high end of my FE on this car. My car (a CA VX) will not break 56mpg (last fillup was 55mpg).
I've been getting kinda bored drafting trucks so now I'm taking it up to 80mph which is how I usually drive (but at that speed, I get high 40's).

Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #174
Registered Member

I'm surprised there is so little difference between 80mph and drafting trucks!! high 40s for 80mph is very good. Better than what my car will do at that speed, but then again, I got the HRR tires in front. Good luck with your o2 sensor. Dunno what I'm going to do about my CEL at this point. I guess just continue driving it as is. Still haven't put the ECU in. just haven't had a minute nor do I understand how to get the floor cover back far enough to get proper accesss to the ECU.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 11-08-2007, 12:28 AM   #175
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
I'm surprised there is so little difference between 80mph and drafting trucks!! high 40s for 80mph is very good. Better than what my car will do at that speed, but then again, I got the HRR tires in front. Good luck with your o2 sensor. Dunno what I'm going to do about my CEL at this point. I guess just continue driving it as is. Still haven't put the ECU in. just haven't had a minute nor do I understand how to get the floor cover back far enough to get proper accesss to the ECU.
I'll let ya know when I do it and I might even take some pictures.
I think you just pull the carpet back from the door area.
Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #176
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm still waiting to hear from TomO or other VX owners as to whether some hesitation is normal operating characteristic of the 5 wire o2 sensor and/or the healthy/normal characteristic of the lean burn, or how much hesitation or engine stumble is normal.
I have the same problem.
I had not this problem when my car was less than 110 000km (so, for me, this is not a normal operating).

One year after the begin of the problem, the CEL came on (Code 48).
This year, the CEL coming on 5 times.
Every time when I decelerate during a long time (downhill).
The CEL disappears when I restart the engine.

But after that, my idle is not normal (same problem that you)!!! And 500km after, the idle becomes normal !

It's the same when I disconnect the battery. Abnormal idle during 500km !

If I disconnect the LAF sensor, the engine runs perfectly (no hesitations) !!! But, of course, after few second, the CEL coming on.

In France and Belgium, a lot of vx owner have this problem (hesitations + CEL). But they have all the original LAF sensor.
So, in US, has someone this problem with a new sensor? Is there an improvement with a new LAF sensor?
VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM   #177
Registered Member

If you buy the Honda manufactured part for $450 it should fix your problem. If you buy the $79 part I bought, it fixed my problem, but the CEL keeps coming on. It won't come on if I turn the engine off and then on again once it's hot. I don't know if my o2 sensor is doing its job right now or not. I assume it is. Because my fuel economy isn't dropping and the weather is getting colder. I haven't checked the emissions with the new o2 sensor which would help me determine if its doing its job properly. At this point I can't recommend you buy the cheapo one I bought. Your best bet is probably buying the $450 part directly from Honda. Maybe it'll be less in Belgium?

If you turn your car off when the engine is hot (the temp gauge has reached its highest point for at least a few minutes.) will the check engine light come on?

Old 11-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #178
Registered Member

I got the 180$ part from oxygen sensor .net (i think).
It has worked fine for me over the last 8 k or so. when i put it in the constant stumble in lean burn was fixed. i never had any cel.
the only problem with mine is a slight idle bounce when the car is warming up. there is no bounce when warmed up, which doesnt take long, and i try not to idle too much while it is warming up anyway.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 AM   #179
VEI
Registered Member

Quote:
I don't know if my o2 sensor is doing its job right now or not. I assume it is. Because my fuel economy isn't dropping and the weather is getting colder.
When I disconnect my LAF sensor, or when the CEL come on, I have no problem during ?lean burn?. But I have made this test during five kilometres. So I don?t know if fuel consummation is the same. But I suppose that it?s due to the ?open loop? function.

Is the AFR obligatory richer during ?open loop?? Does exists ?lean burn? during ?open loop??

Quote:
Your best bet is probably buying the $450 part directly from Honda. Maybe it'll be less in Belgium?
I think it cost $320. I would try to buy a NTK sensor but it?s very difficult to find it in a Belgian shop.

Quote:
If you turn your car off when the engine is hot (the temp gauge has reached its highest point for at least a few minutes.) will the check engine light come on?
If I restart the engine?
No (in normal condition).
Just when I decelerate during a long time (cold or hot) and only few times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
It has worked fine for me over the last 8 k or so. when i put it in the constant stumble in lean burn was fixed. i never had any cel.
Was your problem exactly the same as me?
http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=5550

Here is a example :
http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IiTz8jA7fWM
(It is a climb). I push slowly on the pedal but the car doesn't accelerate, there are some small hesitations. Suddenly, with the same constant pressure, the car accelerates faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
the only problem with mine is a slight idle bounce when the car is warming up. there is no bounce when warmed up, which doesnt take long, and i try not to idle too much while it is warming up anyway.
What happen exactly ?
Is it just when you stop the car?
Had you this problem before the new sensor?
VEI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:29 PM   #180
Registered Member

I Know this post is from o7 but saga continues

However my bosch 13246 with a Sticker with Honda Part number 36532-p07-003

Makes the CEL come on CODE 41 comes.....

Love to KNOW what company sells a O2 Sensor for a Non CA 92 VX honda
that does not cost more then the cars worth

Coconut

Coconut Sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote