$79 5 wire O2 sensor - who has bought one? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2007, 01:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

$79 5 wire O2 sensor - who has bought one?

On another thread, I noted a few people who bought the $79 5 wire L1H1 sensor for their Civic VX on ebay. I called Napa and Autozone today and they wanted over $400 and $390, respectively. There is no way I will pay that much for a sensor because I can buy alot of gas with $400.

From what I understand, the Bosch 13246 sensor is the Honda sensor. People who bought these sensors say it comes with the Honda Part # stamped on it - 36531-P07-003. Of course, the two places I called charged what Honda would charge for these sensors.

I did a bit of research last night and discovered NTK made these exclusively for Honda. I'm not sure if Honda took legal action on the grey marketing of these sensors, but prices have gone up on them since 2003. The Bosch 13246 was priced at $99 at some places pre 2003, but now they are in the high $300.

On ebay Global Automotive is selling the NTK sensor for $79. I want to buy today, but wanted to find out if any of you that have bought this sensor had problems with it.

1. Is it plug and play for the 49-state VX? Connectors the same?
2. Does it look like the OEM one? Is NTK or a honda part # stamped on it?
3. Does it look brand new?
4. Do you get a CEL w/sensor installed? (check engine light)

Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Registered Member

The sensor that ebay store is selling looks just like the one I bought from autozone.com in 2005. If you notice the sensor has a blue wire which to my knowledge only came on the L2H2 sensor. For my 92 VX at least, the L2H2 sensor did not function properly (code 41 - sensor heater).

If you want get one that works, the only one that does for sure is the L1H1 with red white and black wires on the top row of the connector and orange and yellow wires on the bottom row. The L2H2 sensor I bought for $89.95 did not have matching colors and the wires on the L2H2 were not in the same order on the connector as the L1H1. There is an internal resistor on the L1H1 that is built into the connector body. The L2H2 sensor (or clone or knock off) I bought had a resistor added on to the outside of the connector which strongly suggests not a factory part.

Proceed with caution and read the return policy carefully. You probably will need to return it.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:13 PM   #3
Registered Member

This is the one you bought right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...162894537&rd=1

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll hold off getting this until I find out more info.
Here's another one that looks promising, but it's $140.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA:IT&ih=007

Gary
Old 10-18-2007, 03:42 PM   #4
Registered Member

Gary,

The other one doesn't look right either. www.oxygensensor.net has the exact match at $195.00 but unfortunately they show the L2H2 number as well. You will need to call them and make sure they send you the L1H1 with the wire colors shown. This is your best bet.
Old 10-18-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

What's wrong with the second one? It's an L1H1 right? Are the color of the wires on the harnesses not right? I think I read somewhere the AFX box takes a VX O2 sensor so I thought that would work.

I guess that leaves this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

What do you think of this one?
Man, these 5-wire sensors are giving me a headache.
Gary
Old 10-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

The ebay listing says it's for a 96-00. The wire colors and location on the connector are critical. The orange and yellow wires are for the sensor heater. Beware of the blue wire - that's an L2H2 and it probably won't work for a 92-95 Fed VX.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Oh what the krike. Mine has a blue wire.

Although it does say it works with the VX.
I guess I should install it to find out if it works.

Has anyone bought this o2 sensor for their VX and had it work? If I recall right, Panamacolin had to return his because it didn't work in his VX?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadziasman View Post
The ebay listing says it's for a 96-00. The wire colors and location on the connector are critical. The orange and yellow wires are for the sensor heater. Beware of the blue wire - that's an L2H2 and it probably won't work for a 92-95 Fed VX.
If you look further down in the listing, it list the 92-95 VX non CA models as a car that will work with this L1H1 sensor.

For some reason I can't believe it's an L2H2 sensor since the explicityly list it as a L1H1 sensor. That will give us an ability to return it for a refund if we do find out it's not the sensor as advertise.

Jacinto : try it out and let us know if it works! That sensor worked for the VX owner in Canada - it actually made his car run much better sooooo... I'm led to believe it may work...
Gary
Old 10-18-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Registered Member

I ordered mine from Global-Automotive...purchased off of ebay...the o2 sensor did not work. When I installed it the CEL came on and it would not turn off. I reset the ECU and nada check engine light...high idle..and eratic. Just got refunded for the part....not a fun procedure. I def. dont think it was the right part.
I would not order the part off ebay...especially from Global-Automotive. They were rude in the repsonse letter and I almost did not get a refund. I had to call my visa credit card to get them to contact global auto for me...otherwise I would have been stuck with a bogus part...

best of luck to everyone...if you find another cheap part that is legit I would be interested to know.
Old 10-19-2007, 02:54 AM   #10
Junior Mint

Here is a link to the one I just installed.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...173410075&rd=1
It seems to work just fine. My car had the O2 sensor code prior to installing and has since not thrown any codes. If it is important, I can check the color of the wires for you after the sun comes up.