87 Honda Thermostat - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 01-07-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Registered Member

87 Honda Thermostat

I need help finding the location of the T-stat. It appears to be behind the motor with the lower radiator hose connecting it? Normally t-stats are on the end of the motor to allow it to get warm quicker?
I have never seen a t-stat connected to the cool water return line.
Anyone have experience with this?

As some of you know, I failed emissions, replaced a number of components and figured it would not only fix my emission problem, but figured it would constantly put me over the 40MPG mark.
My milage hasn't improved and may have even been a tad worse.
I noticed my car wasn't providing the heat that is used to, and noticed the temp gage was below it normal range.

I'm thinking the t-stat was probably a contributing factor to my emissions failure!

Old 01-08-2011, 08:01 AM   #2
Registered Member

Re: 87 Honda Thermostat

Its out and definitely on the return hose.....

Old 01-09-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
Registered Member

Here's the difference on the t-stats anyone seen this before? in stead of a rubber seal on the end, the new one is just metal?
Old 01-09-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
Registered Member

you might need to buy the seal/gasket in addition to the t-stat.
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

When I called they said thats the way they make them now? And no additional
seal either.
s/t
Old 01-10-2011, 06:18 AM   #6
Registered Member

The Honda dealer's replacement thermostat will likely have the rubber piece on the end- the most critical place that it needs to seal tightly in order to warm up quickly is the large end.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:06 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
The Honda dealer's replacement thermostat will likely have the rubber piece on the end- the most critical place that it needs to seal tightly in order to warm up quickly is the large end.
The new one is a factory Honda part? It seems to be working, I just need some really colds days now to see how it acts. It seemed like it would hardly warm up with 9* temps driving on the interstate. The heater was plowing only warm air.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM   #8
Registered Member

A partial grill block would help to speed warm up.

My 87 Civic's engine also takes quite a long time to warm up fully- even with my 50% grill block.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:37 PM   #9
Registered Member

My 93 VX takes about 4.5 miles to warm up on it's own with light driving. That's with the heater setting set to cold. The engine bypasses the heater when the control is set to cold. (I think your 87' is the same way, a cable activated valve on the return line) If I run the heat on high for the duration of those miles, it wont be warm until 5 to 6 miles. (our average temp is around 20df right now) The heater core does provide a fair amount of cooling to the motor. Try running the heater in the cold position until the needle is at it's fully warm mark. (if you can stand it)
Better yet, install a block heater. They are cheap, can be run on a timer, are relatively easy to install, save gas (and yes, pay for themselves in spite of the cost of electricity to run them, assuming you don't run it all night), and make the vehicle way more comfortable to get into.

Here's an aftermarket Tstat that has the gasket in question:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

B
benfrogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 AM   #10
Registered Member

Thumbs up Re: 87 Honda Thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfrogg View Post
My 93 VX takes about 4.5 miles to warm up on it's own with light driving. That's with the heater setting set to cold. The engine bypasses the heater when the control is set to cold. (I think your 87' is the same way, a cable activated valve on the return line) If I run the heat on high for the duration of those miles, it wont be warm until 5 to 6 miles. (our average temp is around 20df right now) The heater core does provide a fair amount of cooling to the motor. Try running the heater in the cold position until the needle is at it's fully warm mark. (if you can stand it)
Better yet, install a block heater. They are cheap, can be run on a timer, are relatively easy to install, save gas (and yes, pay for themselves in spite of the cost of electricity to run them, assuming you don't run it all night), and make the vehicle way more comfortable to get into.

Here's an aftermarket Tstat that has the gasket in question:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...%26+Drivetrain

B
This was not the case in my car (87 civic). I purchased everything from the dealer and the price was the same as NAPA.
Anyway it's heating up quickly- even with the heater on high, my temperature gage is stable when driving on the interstate with sub freezing temps too. The best part- I have to adjust the heater control down or I'll be well done by the end of your commute!

FYI- This has also fixed my failed emissions dilemma I posted before (search my username). I fixed every little known issue with my car, only to barely pass with a one year certification (barley passing).
When I went in for this years test I actually was expecting them to give me bad news... The guy came back with his paper work with a 2 year Cert. It took me a while to remember me doing this thermostat - This probably was the issue the whole time, but you'd never notice with Normal/warm temperatures .
s/t