88 Civic D15z1 Swap, Getting Engine Code 16 What could it be? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-25-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

88 Civic D15z1 Swap, Getting Engine Code 16 What could it be?

So i swapped a d15z1 in my 88 civic sedan. I managed to convert it to mpfi, got most of the bugs worked out and finally was able to get the car started to where it stays on. I keep getting engine Code 16, which means its a fuel injector problem. I ran through the diagnostic check in the 92-92 honda civic manual (same as 88-91 civic manual except no resistor box is needed and resistance is different) and i get to the last part where it asks me to try a different ecu. I have a P07 which corresponds to that engine, and i substituted the edu with a P13 (OBD1 Prelude, which i know works fine) and the car starts as ussual but i still get Code 16. Now i know that it might be related to the fuel pressure and the main relay.

I re-soldered the relay, but it showed signs of having been repaired in the past. this didnt fix the problem.

The only thing i can think of now is the fact that i have not changed the fuel filter and that i used the 88 civic fuel line, i just twisted it so that it would fit correctly, Could the fact that i didnt use the VX engine fuel line cause this problem? Ive been meaning to get a fuel pressure tester but im not sure what to look for when purchasing one.

has anyone had this problem, or know how i might be able to fix it?

Thank you in advanced.

8Civic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:50 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to FormulaTwo
i would check your wiring to the fuel injectors
i guess it could be the injectors themselves

FormulaTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well, i went through the diagnostic and i get voltage both at the injectors and at the ecu. But for some reason i still get code 16.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:58 PM   #4
Driving on E

I got that code once before too, and it was solved by resetting the ECU.

The main relay might be a culprit,, as might the injectors. I'd recommend cleaning them individually and seeing what happens.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #5
Registered Member

How do i go about cleaning the injectors? Also, if i where to buy a noid light to check for signal which one would i buy? Would it be the one for the bosch plug style?
Old 11-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
What injectors are you using? The stock VX ones or ones from another honda?

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Registered Member

I supposedly bought a jdm d15z1 and i am using everything that was on it. Although the injector plugs appear to be from a obd2 engine. The engine looks exactly like the one below except not as oxidized.

As you can see, that engine (which is just like my engine) has obd2 plugs. Would it cause a problem if i am using obd2 injectors with obd1 ecu? Could that cause error code 16?

As i come to find out, honda also made a d15z (not d15z1), i am not sure if that was also called vtec-e but it was an obd2 engine (present on 96 and newer engines only). Its hard to tell because they were all stamped d15b. If this is so, it means my engine has 130 hp and not 92, defeating the purpose of swapping my engine because i wont get the fe i wanted.... Anyone has any insight in this matter?
Old 11-02-2006, 10:28 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Civic8
has anyone had this problem, or know how i might be able to fix it?

Thank you in advanced.

Beats me , but maybe this helps.

onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:04 AM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Civic8
I managed to convert it to mpfi,.
You converted a single throttle body injection to multipoint EFI without a computer change ? ? ?
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #10
Registered Member

No, i did change the computer. I am using a P07 as i stated in my opening comments.