92 accord starting problem - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-11-2008, 05:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

92 accord starting problem

My friend has a 92 accord lx with the 2.2, and it is having trouble starting. It has trouble starting both hot and cold. It can only be started when starting fluid is sprayed in the intake, and once running runs fine. Any ideas?
Do you think it is an ECU problem? I told him to go thru all of the ignition items, like cap rotor plugs wires. it seems like since it runs fine once it is going, it is getting fuel. Could be dirty injectors, but i think the problem started all of a sudden. maybe a failing coil?

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #2

Check cap, rotor for spark when starting.

Have any auto parts store check your coil for free - unless you know how to use your own multimeter, which takes nearly no time.

Change your fuel filter - this is just OH so cheap.

Could also be the main relay (I have been advised of this for many starting issues on Hondas).

Seafoam (there are threads on this - a great cleaner (which should help clean injectors if you use the 1/3, 1/3, 1/3 mixture in low gas in tank, oil and intake)) - will require an oil change if you use the above method.

The above checks and replacements should be under $20 except for replacing cap, rotor or coil if any are bad.

Barring this - could be a failing fuel pump?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Sounds to me like the main relay or a clogged fuel filter.

GL on the fix.

Download a shop manual if you don't have one already. Search the net for one, they can be easily found for any Honda.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:11 PM   #4
Registered Member

thanks for the advise. unfortunately, I can't work on the car since it is in FLA and I am in NY. So I will relay the info to him and see if he can fix it. I figure he might as well change the fuel filter first, and then check the main relay.
GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote