'95 Civic quiet aftermarket stainless steel exhaust suggestions? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2009, 06:13 AM   #1
Registered Member

'95 Civic quiet aftermarket stainless steel exhaust suggestions?

My '95 Honda Civic DX hatchback's muffler just rusted out, and I want to replace it with a stainless steel muffler that has the same original Honda exhaust sound. I want stainless because I don't want to crawl under the car ever again to replace a muffler, even though it's an easy job when the replacement parts are like OE.

In a June 2007 thread (http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=4102) I posted the same question for quiet SS exhaust recommendations, and two mufflers were suggested: Ansa and APEXI worldsport II. The problem with these from the description provided by each member is both mufflers produce a different sound than the OE muffler. I've seen SS exhausts on other Civics that sounded like OE, but I never had the chance to ask the owners what brand they were.

Searching online, I read that Walker is coming out with a stainless steel exhaust in their Quiet-Flow line:

http://www.autocarepronews.com/defau...=art&id=90920&

But my muffler is very loud and needs replacing immediately, so I don't have time to wait for the Walker muffler to become available.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Old 01-01-2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Is the rest of the exhaust stainless? If not, I'd expect it to last no longer than a new rustable muffler.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Registered Member

The rest of the exhaust is not stainless. Why does that make a difference?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Well, if the rest of it is not stainless, don't you expect it to rust and require you to crawl under again?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
Registered Member

The regular Walker mufflers are very well aluminised and they last 5+ years.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Let me rephrase what I was asking: why would a stainless steel muffler last only as long as a rustable muffler if the rest of the exhaust is not stainless?

My plan is to replace the rotted muffler now with a SS muffler (if I can find a quiet one with the same sound as the OE muffler). When the existing non-stainless B pipe needs to be replaced (the long pipe that rusts out with the same frequency as the muffler), I'll replace that with stainless as well. That should eliminate the need to crawl under the car again for exhaust work. The other exhaust pieces, the A pipe and catalytic converter, almost never rust out unless the car is driven infrequently or on very short trips when the engine doesn't get very hot.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadWarrior View Post
The regular Walker mufflers are very well aluminised and they last 5+ years.
I tried a Walker aluminized muffler a few years ago on my former '95 Civic VX, and it only lasted the usual 2 - 3 years.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:04 AM   #8
Registered Member

Odd, the one I've got on Marvin has been on years now and is only showing rust where I scratched it. We get the roads salted too.
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:02 AM   #9
Registered Member

It must be a Honda thing. I swear they go through mufflers and B pipes faster than any other vehicle.