96 Nissan Pick Up problem - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik View Post
My 92 240SX has the same engine and uses a mass air flow sensor to calculate the A/F ratio. I've heard that the tiny wires in these air flow meters can become "contaminated" and sometimes need to be cleaned with a special solvent. I've never had any problems with my air flow sensor though (250,000 miles on the car).

As was already suggested, you should double check the vacuum hoses and also that the air snorkel has no cracks in it between the intake and the air flow sensor. Any cracks/leaks would cause an overly lean mixture.
thier not really tiny wires btu mor elike a screen type of thing. and yes they can get clogged and corrosion can build up. after 250K it cant hurt to clean it with the spray.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 02:02 PM   #12
Supporting Member

Just remember something about my old truck again. The IAT sensor connections break easily. They usually break inside the connector. The IAT sensor is located on the bottom of the breather box on the passenger side of the throttle body. I recommend you check the wiring. I can't remember how I fixed it but I think I found a similar connector at a yard and spliced it in.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:57 AM   #13
Registered Member

IAT Circuit malfunction

I had to replace my EGR valve because it was stuck, I took the opportunity to check all of the vacuum lines and replace one. After replacing the EGR and the downstream O2 sensor the truck ran better, and worse. It would not buck and heave like before but it was acting like there was a vacuum leak somewhere. It would idle fine, then stumble and run rough, then idle fine again. It would also do this through the rpm range sometimes.

I just ran a diagnostic which told me the IAT circuit was not working. My book has nothing about IAT and I was about to post on here to find out if that was the intake air temp sensor. There was a second code telling me the system was running too lean but that may be related to the IAT circuit. Thanks guys!

edit: The mass airflow sensor was cleaned earlier this spring but I'll double check it again. It was contaminated with filter oil from my K&N filter, one of the reasons why I switched to the Secret Weapon intake. The filter does not need to be oiled and filters better than the old K&N.
dm1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #14
Supporting Member

Well the IAT sensor is mounted in the bottom of the oem throttle body "hat". I'm not sure how the sensor would be mounted for the weaponR setup. It should definitely be monitoring air temps inside the CAI. Its very rare that the sensor fails. Usually its the wiring or connector. Check my the above post.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote