Aftermarket stainless steel exhaust questions - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Supporting Member

ansa sport exhaust model number: HD4987 for CRX

Attached Images

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #12
Supporting Member

for 95 civic dx should be HD8027 or HD8037, not exactly sure.

Attached Images

my favorite thread
Old 06-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #13
Registered Member

so hondas exhaust only last 2 years???

lol do they make it outa tin foil?

i have a large portion of my s-10s factory origional exhaust and its solid as can be.

stainless steel will cost out the yang to do....
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisntjared View Post
i have had 15 year old oem exhaust systems do just fine... i dont know how its the weak link...
15 yrs from the OEM exhaust in your Civic? How many miles per year do you drive? And do you drive the car every day? Even when I was driving my former Civic 150 highway miles roundtrip each day, I was still replacing the exhaust about every 4 or 5 years.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:07 AM   #15
Supporting Member

I think thats what the Toyota add with the little kids is talking about when they say "your mufflers busted, better get your wallet". But I'd rather buy a new muffler than drive a Toyota. I had a 94 accord back in 2002 and it had the original muffler/exhaust with no signs of damage. Might be a civic thing.

my favorite thread
Old 06-26-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
Registered Member

Nissan exhaust wear quick too, I'm guessing the salty air from shipping them corrodes them fast. my cousin had a 3yr old vw, the muffler had holes in it already. my ford 125000 and no rust through yet( and i still have a extra cat back exh. that a ford dealer removed for a Ev ranger conversion on another truck
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:42 PM   #17
Registered Member

My '04 Mazda is showing signs of serious rust. But we use a LOT of salt in MI.

In fact, I've been doing a bit of looking around underneath while trying to get this hitch off, and I ended up sanding and coating some potential trouble spots.

m
Old 07-05-2007, 04:26 AM   #18
Registered Member

I still need to introduce myself, but i have the APEXI worldsport II exhaust, cat back with a OBX cheapo header, and i get tons of compliments about the sound... it was expensive but it's 100% stainless, muffler and all... i have it on a 94 VX that my best mileage was 47MPG, i have never gotten higher than that, but i refuse to run without my stereo, and AC, plus i'm usually running late, so i have to push my speed everywhere i go, plus in S Fla, everyone travels 10mph over the limit, and those are the slow people...
VXrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #19
Registered Member

On the burned valve thing, the issue is an open exhaust like headers open to atmosphere, or just manifolds, or no mufflers and a quick dump. And then, it can be prevented by letting the engine idle a short time to cool down before shutting off the engine. A hard run will cause the exhaust valves to be hotter than they are at idle, on shutdown. What causes the problem is when the engine is shut down, cold air is sucked back up the exhaust and hits the exhaust valves. If the exhaust goes to the back of the car, or you are running a cat, no problem. You just need to have an exhaust system long enough that on shutdown, the reversion air that gets sucked back up the exhaust has time to be warmed by the exhaust system before reaching the valves.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:14 AM   #20
Registered Member

Interesting theory. I assume the exhaust reversion would be caused by left over manifold vacuum?
If it's just a matter of blowing air over the hot valves, how is this any different than letting off the gas and coasting? Modern cars all shut off the fuel injectors under those conditions, so the valves will get bathed in nothing but air.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote