Am I being scammed on premium gas? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Hockey4mnhs,

Yeah everyone should check out all the very different formulations of fuel we are recieving depending on where we live!

Heres the new 2007 report: http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/Fil...p%20100102.pdf

And here is the 2006 discussion I started on here about that map: http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=596

Oxygenated fuel AND reformulated fuel, or fuel that contains ethanol so that it burns cleaner = less emissions

Warning, You could spend two days learning about this stuff....

EDIT: GPA = Phase-in-area (I think)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey4mnhs View Post
what is this oxygenated fuel you speak of. i live in the country also so how do i know im getting it?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Is it hard to find good Thai food? :-)
Heck no! Yew cin git a whole bucket of nuthin but thais and drumsticks at the Colonels now! Heh heh heh yee-haw!!! Kin ye tell Ah be an Okie frum jes no'th uf Muskogee? Heh heh heh...

On a more serious note, there are little Chinese takeout joints all over, and the Mexican food is outstanding so long as you stay away from the chains, out here in the Midwest. The food in the Midwest is comparable to the stuff found in the DC area. In fact it's better, since it tastes the same as if not better, and costs far, far less in the Midwest. It's almost like there's a Coast Tax when eating in a restaurant on the Eastern Seaboard, or out in Cali.

Man I don't see how you people can live in the huge cities. The little bedroom community I live just north of has a 4 lane inside the town, and it's too big a town for me. Tulsa is way, way too big, just don't like it. I'd never go there at all if it wasn't for Carrabas Italian grill. Best... Italian... Ever. If they ever move one into the town I do live next to, I'll have no need for Tulsa at all...

Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
Registered Member

Yeh, it's pretty crazy. We almost moved to Owasso a few months ago, and it seemed like it might be a really nice change.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:54 PM   #14
Registered Member

Well, on topic, the B18C1 is equipped with a knock sensor. That means the ECU will advance the ignition timing as far as it can before the engine starts pinging... It's sort of similar to what the ECU does with the oxygen sensor and fuel trim, but with timing. Anyway, if the ECU is expecting premium gas, using regular may force it to retard the timing beyond an internal threshold it has, tripping an error code.
Ah well... Here are the troubleshooting pages for Code 43. Let me know if you need a preticular set of fuel system pages.

GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Registered Member

if it rained real hard, the fuel holding tanks (in the ground)at the gas station might have water in them. seen that a few times on different cars/trucks
ffvben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 04:33 AM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
Yeh, it's pretty crazy. We almost moved to Owasso a few months ago, and it seemed like it might be a really nice change.
You should have. It's a nice area to live in. I've lived in several states and a couple of other countries and this is about the best place I've ever lived. Well, not counting one other place, but I won't mention it seeing as my feelings towards it are purely sentimental. Looking at that place with a logical eye reveals it to be the putrid dumping ground of humanity that it is, but I had some of the best times of my life there.
Telco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
Registered Member

Thanks for posting the info bobski. I'll have to follow that procedure sometime. I just reset my ECU today so we'll see if it relearns on oxygenated gas.