Am I being scammed on premium gas? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

Am I being scammed on premium gas?

Before I found out my car (with B18C1) required premium gas, I tried a tank of regular. Some time through the tank I got a code 43, fuel supply system. I looked up the specs and sure enough it needed premium (I started the car on it at first just to be safe). So my car can definitely taste bad gas. Switched back to 93 and never seen the problem again. Until now.

After moving out into the country, I decided to make the local Shell station my usual fill up spot (what I've always used). But, after some highway driving I got a code 43 again, and I could hear detonation. So, is there anything else that could cause a code 43 other than bad gas? I'm tempted to go to the gas station and "investigate" this, but I don't want to accuse them of anything if it's just my car running crappy (which btw, it isn't running quite right, see other thread). But, it's been running crappy for a few months with no problems. It's the first tank at this new station that I got a CEL. It's popped up a few more times since then.

Anything think they might be scamming me on premium gas by putting regular in the premium tanks, yet charging $0.20 more for it? I don't know what else it could be. I just know that last time I got this problem, it was definitely because of low grade gas. Being that it's out in the country, I would think they might be a little more likely to fudge the gas a little. I don't know what's up. So, anyone know what else can cause a fuel supply system error code?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Registered Member

Perhaps your car is out of tune....this could cause the problem you describe.

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Registered Member

If you don't already have one, get a repair manual, usually ~$15-20 new and a few bucks used. It should detail how to check your Oxygen sensor (which for a OBD1 Honda is code 43 too according to Google) with a cheap multimeter. If it's not working correctly, replace it, if it is, then try some 93 at another gas station. If the problem persists and you know the gas and Oxygen sensor are likely good, then it's probably a problem with your FI system somewhere causing it to run rich or lean. Google, some of the Honda peoplez on the board, or the Temple of VTEC should be able to help you in more detail.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Flatland2D,

You moved out to the country eh? Well thats probably it!

Country folk arn't delivered "oxygenated" fuel! Your car is used to the oxy fuel and yur not giving it any! Shame on you!

No problem, disconnect your battery for 10 minutes and it will reset the PCM and as a result re-learn how to utilize the new fuel!

P.S.~Your current o2 sensor SHOULD be able to give the cars computer the data fast enough to help it adjust its fuel trim/timing, but you got the code, which could mean your o2 is in need of replacement aka "lazy". Maybe. But so long as u do mostly hwy or mostly city driving and not a solid mix, you should be able to get away with your current o2
Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
Registered Member

Yep, I'm a country boy now! Been loving every minute of it. In addition to the many other reasons, I can stop worrying about my car being stolen again. I can finally learn to relax.

I'll try resetting the ECU first before getting too involved. I know it does sound like it could be the car, but it's been running crappy for a while now with no problems. First tank out here and CEL pops up.

So in unoxygenated fuel better for your car (FE wise)? According to Chevron, it sounds like it. I guess another perk to living out in the country.

Source: http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...etin/oxy-fuel/
Old 07-30-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Your country fuel is for sure better for FE!
Old 07-30-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
Registered Member

WOOHOO! Finally those hour long drives are going to start paying off. Sort of...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:32 PM   #8
Supporting Member

what is this oxygenated fuel you speak of. i live in the country also so how do i know im getting it?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:03 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatland2D View Post
Yep, I'm a country boy now! Been loving every minute of it. In addition to the many other reasons, I can stop worrying about my car being stolen again. I can finally learn to relax.[/url]
Same here. Moved from the SF Bay Area in California to a nice rural place in E. Texas. Damn, I don't know why we didn't do this sooner! (although I'm having trouble adjusting to a place that's not as cosmopolitan!)
'09 Harley Nightster - 48mpg and 1/4 miles in the 12's
jcp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:22 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
(although I'm having trouble adjusting to a place that's not as cosmopolitan!)
Is it hard to find good Thai food? :-)