Battery Questions - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-04-2007, 06:25 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
With the "new" driving style over the last couple years (EOC), deep cycle looks like a candidate. The ones I remember are much larger than stock, so should I be looking to relocate it to the rear hatch? Not much room there...

Good info, thanks!

-R
I would see if you can find a compact deep-cycle (not sure if they exist), otherwise, I agree that you will have to move it to the trunk since there is very little room there for integras.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #12
Registered Member

it cranks slow in cold weather because of the cold oil and other lubes. oil is liek syrup(just not as sticky) if you have cold syrup its not gomma move to easy, heat it up a bit and its like water.

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #13

Compact deep cycle battery: Odyssey pc925mjt or if you need the reverse terminals pc925lmjt . Only 6.4"Lx7"Wx5"H and mountable in any orientation. 380cca rating worked very well with my genIII SHO through the Mn winters with no garage. They make smaller dimensioned ones also - but cranking amps drop .
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:40 PM   #14
Supporting Member

I've heard batteries manufactured by "johnson controls" are good(rumors of course). I'm currently still working on the original delco battery in my saturn. Its made it 5 years and I'm abusing it with 150f underhood temps and tons of eoc.

I've seen some very old 5yrs+ and still healthy motorcraft batteries. I do not like duralast brand batteries they don't seem to last.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:16 PM   #15
Registered Member

yea my dads aerostars stock battery lasted 10 years before he swapped it out (going on a 2000mile roadtrip, didnt wanna take a chance, i think we still have it somewhere)

the one in my s-10 lasted 8 years before it bit the dust.

i gotta say at least domestic batteries are lasting a long long time for beign stock batterys
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Yeah Delcos are prolly as good as they get. I had to replace an 11 year old Delco this year in my Monte. It would still start the car, but it didn't have much capacity left. I went to the drive-in and was *almost* stranded there at the end of two movies in May.

See deep cycles won't give you much life during automotive use, I mean, unless you can turn the alt off. You will chop thier life in half if used in a car because any alternator will constantly be charging it. They are designed for the outboard no alternator boat, to be charged up before launch and then charged after 8-10 hours of use when you come back into port.

Maybe just get a Diehard (sears) for your Acura's group 51R, 495 CCA's
Thats probably the highest capacity you are going to get in that small size.(higher than delco at least) Make sure you get the freshest one! One thats less than three months old. There will be a manufacturer date code on it as a sticker usually. Ask when it was made if you dont' see it. 3 year free replacement, 100 month prorate warranty. Sweet.
~Will
Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 PM   #17
Supporting Member

MnFocus -

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnFocus View Post
Compact deep cycle battery: Odyssey pc925mjt or if you need the reverse terminals pc925lmjt . Only 6.4"Lx7"Wx5"H and mountable in any orientation. 380cca rating worked very well with my genIII SHO through the Mn winters with no garage. They make smaller dimensioned ones also - but cranking amps drop .
If I got an Odyssey, I was thinking I would need the normal(?) 38 pound PC1200, but the PC925 is only 26 pounds. I love those little dimensions. I'll have to spend some time comparing specs between what I have and what Odyssey offers.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #18

It (pc925)was plenty good to start (very easily I might add) the 3.4 V8 Duratec in the dead of winter.The size/weight of it was what really drew me to it also. Unless you are running a high amp draw car stereo or other electronics in either of those vehicles it should be fine in S. Cali .
MnFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #19
Registered Member

SoC it to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rt0npr0 View Post
See deep cycles won't give you much life during automotive use, I mean, unless you can turn the alt off. You will chop thier life in half if used in a car because any alternator will constantly be charging it. They are designed for the outboard no alternator boat, to be charged up before launch and then charged after 8-10 hours of use when you come back into port.
Hey Will -

A bit off-topic, I still haven't gotten around to changing the transmission fluid. Any luck with your application?

I read-up on deep cycle batts last night, and had the same concerns with State-of-Charge issues. I know this was addressed a long time ago, but I wonder how many hours / trips it would last without charge from the alternator and charged overnight instead? I also forget / need to search the gain of removing the belt vs. hooking-up a disconnect to still use use the alt to charge up in "urgent" driving situations.

RH77
Old 10-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #20
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to n0rt0npr0
Rick,

Heck I dont' know about how long it might last, think you'd have to figure the draw, then divide by the CA...or something? The major brand deep-cycles have 5 year prorata warrantys...who knows how many times they are thinking the average fisherman goes out in the warm months?

As for the fluid...I think that "pull" I was talking to you about in the 1700-2500 rpm ranges is still there, and before it felt like it was slipping more there. Maybe good for .75 mpg. I think more of the gains will be seen in the wintertime like what toecutter was saying.