Battery Questions - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-05-2007, 10:11 PM   #21
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh77 View Post
Question 2: Is there a good battery folks can recommend? I've heard that Optima brand batts have declined in quality over the last year or so.

Any thoughts of a battery that works well under these conditions?
J-yard. Just make sure to check the dates... I can spend $60-80 for a brand new battery that should last ~4-8 years, or I can spend $20 for the same thing that's about a year old.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:31 AM   #22
Registered Member

i used to have a 4yr old batt that my dad hadn't changed on the car, so when i got it, i had to drive it everyday. Previously he commuted to work everyday with it so it still lasted for the next day to start it. I still managed to start the car, when after 3 days, it had dropped to a voltage of less than 10 volts. Amazingly, i still started it up. This happened quite a few times. Then i finally convinced him that batteries should definitely last more than 3 days and more like 2 weeks or so. I replaced it with a Energizer batt wit 500 cca and 80 rc minutes.
I would of tried to reconditioning the batts if i would have known how to.

oo and for testing the battery, you should find the internal resistance: you measure the voltage of the charged battery without a load. then you add a load and measure the amps of the load and the voltage of the battery With the load. Then you find the difference of voltages of no-load and loaded battery, then divide the difference by the amount of amps of load you put on. the equation is: R = (Voc - Vl ) /amps
it should be something around a few miliohms but i dont know how many ohms is considered "bad".

Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #23
Registered Member

Im the poster child for changing out battery's. Five years max. And they are gone.
psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #24
Registered Member

but.. my neighbor has had his for 9+ years... wat about that! using a desulphator.
Gearshredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 PM   #25
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclencher View Post
iy'de liekta live nexta psych and use all his half-worn parts for the rest of their useful lives!

then again, maybe not next door...
If the battery is still cranking. I do give them to folks.

psyshack is offline   Reply With Quote