Benefits to CAI - Cold Air Intake? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member

Benefits to CAI - Cold Air Intake?

Is there any MPG value to installing a CAI on my car? Or is it just a gimmick for Boy-Racers and other child like creatures?

Please advise!

MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
Registered Member

If it functioned properly, it'd hurt mileage by some very small amount. That being said, most CAIs out there just screw with the intake and don't lower AITs much, so it probably won't do anything except make the car sound different. Either way, it's not worthwhile. Save up your money for gasoline, or new LRR tires.

omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:00 PM   #3
Registered Member

less power at low rpms. More power at high rpms. Cool engine sounds (if you are into that kind of stuff). Worse fuel economy or no change at all.

Distance traveled by bicycle in 2007= 1,830ish miles
Average commute speed=25mph (yes, that's in a car)
kickflipjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgwtfbyobbq View Post
If it functioned properly, it'd hurt mileage by some very small amount. That being said, most CAIs out there just screw with the intake and don't lower AITs much, so it probably won't do anything except make the car sound different. Either way, it's not worthwhile. Save up your money for gasoline, or new LRR tires.
Where can I get a list of LRR tires? The set I have now only have 1,200 on them, but come time to replace them, I'd like to buy the lowest LRR tires I can get....
MorningGaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

There's the old greenseal report, and consumer reports did something recently, but to access it you need an account, or free trial account to cancel.
omgwtfbyobbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Registered Member

To find a list of the new consumer reports stuff, do an internet search for something like d684 michelin continental consumer reports, and you will find a place where someone has posted the list. Probably not to the level of detail you would want, though.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

Actually, on my old car I installed a CAI and the gas mileage increased a few points. I'm thinking of trying it again with the Green Machine to see if it makes any difference.
repete86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:00 PM   #8
Registered Member

2-things

To my knowledge, Consumer Reports is the only publication that performs LRR tests regularly -- an online subscription or Mag. purchase is required. For a while, though, the Green Seal report was all that was available -- but it's good that a widely-available source tests this variable today.

Regarding cold air. The only way to know what your engine wants is either a shop manual and/or considerable testing. It also depends on the definition of "Cold". If it means bringing the air down from excessively high temperature levels due to high ambient or operating temps, then it could benefit. But if it's colder than 60*F outside, my guess is that it can ask the ECU to run additionally rich to heat up the cat for emissions purposes (and create a bit more power at the sacrifice of FE). On the flip side, too high of an IAT creates detonation/ping and additional fuel to cool the charge in the cylinder.

Tricking the ECU by indicating a falsly high IAT works in many Saturns to lean-out the mix. Conversely, Hondas tend to like around 80-90*F for optimum efficiency and power.

RH77
Old 03-31-2007, 09:39 PM   #9
Supporting Member

i did one and im on my tank right now after i took it off so ill tell u pretty soon
Old 06-30-2007, 06:31 AM   #10
Registered Member

Insulated OE Airbox...

Sorry to wake up this old thread...But rather than start another one about the same topic:

I applied some Thermo-Tec self adhesive heat barrier to a few hot spots on my Volvo's OE airbox this week. The factory intake set-up is basically a CAI system, but the airbox is positioned very close to the radiator and probably absorbs radiant heat from the engine as well. I took note of some of the heat-shields used in aftermarket systems and decided to shield my OE box with the Thermo-Tec product. The heat barrier came in a 12"x12" sheet. It only took about an hour to remove & clean the airbox, cut the barrier to shape, apply & reinstall. The sheet wasn't big enough to cover the entire airbox, but it was enough to shield it at its most vulnerable places. I don't have an IAT gauge, so I won't speculate on any changes...but I figured it might just come in handy on one of these HOT Summer days. Volvo MAFs hate hot air.