Best Civic Clutch and Flywheel???? - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
Registered Member

I bought an Exedy clutch kit for my VX on ebay for $80 shipped. Installed really easy - I had the flywheel resurfaced at a reputable auto parts store. No issues at all for the eight months and 12K miles I have used it thus far.

The only difference from the stock clutch is there are fewer, wider fingers on the Exedy pressure plate compared to the the more numerous, narrower ones on the OEM pressure plate - I don't know why.

I rarely rev my VX over 3000 rpm so I don't know how durable the Exedy clutch is.

jadziasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #12
Registered Member

Autozone- Dynapak clutch kit. Should be in stock and about the same price as the Exedy on ebay. The Exedy stage 1 is a factory replacement clutch with a slightly stiffer pressure plate.

I clutch kicked and drifted with the Dynapak for a solid year (amateur stuff, eventually I went to 6-puck) and it had a bunch of life left on it. It met its demise due to the excessive heat it endured from my abuse, but it never slipped during normal driving. The Exedy that it replaced... well, that's a different story. Slipped from the beginning and that's back when I drove the car like a grandma.

Make sure you replace the pilot bushing.

For fuel economy, you're mostly in the lower rpm ranges. You don't want a lightweight flywheel because you'll lose the energy storage that comes with the stock wheel weight.

Find out if there's a step in your flywheel. If there is, know what the height of the step is (ie the 240sx has a .006" or 6 thousandths step). Make sure you inform the person machining the wheel that is should have a step and how tall it should be. It can also save you money if you remove the dowel pins from the flywheel before having it machined. Most places I've been to charge an extra $5 to remove and reinstall the dowel pins. Expect to pay around $55 for a resurface job.

Old 06-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Registered Member

ive installed about 4 or 5 carquest clutch kits (throwout bearing, clutch disk pressureplate alignment tool all included) in several different cars randign from a jeep wrangler to a toyota celica. they all went in flawlessly and when we test drove them afterwards everyhtign was smooth and no vibrations. seemed reasonably priced right around $100

VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote