Best Civic Clutch and Flywheel???? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 03-19-2007, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

Best Civic Clutch and Flywheel????

Okay, I'm getting ready for the big CX transmission swap into the HX. I have a clutch/pressure plate and flywheel from the d15b8 engine (it came connected) and was wondering what the best flywheel/clutch assembly is for FE. Should I get a Stage 1 Exedy Clutch, OEM, or something else?

I was thinking I would have the d15b8's flywheel resurfaced, and use a new stock clutch, throw-out bearing, pressure plate assembly, but then I noticed that some performance clutches aren't that expensive and I think there may be bennefits to using a lighter flywheel. The lighter flywheel's just seem to have holes in them between the starter ring gear and the clutch surface or be made out of aluminum.

What should I use and which brands are good buys for price?

kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #2
*shrug*

For the cost, I wouldn't worry about it, go with the CX flywheel and an oem clutch.

If you feel like dumping the money on something that prolly won't return a tremendous amount, I don't know what to tell you. A stock clutch should be good for any amount of power you will make, though you can for for a lighter flywheel if you wish.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:52 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I've ridden in cars that have race clutchs in them, and normaly that meens that the clutch as more grab, so it's really hard to feather it, it's then harder on your engine, and tranny.
I've put in clutchs from Napa, and other auto parts stores, and they are nice, smooth, and don't slip, what more could you ask for? the clutch kit comes with alinment tool, throw out bearing, and all the other goodies that you need to install it, other then reserficeing they fly wheel, the CX and VX, and HF flywheels are ligher as they are, any lighter and I think the engine might run a bit odd, and would need a faster idle to keep it from stalling, if you really want your fly wheel lighter, ask the shop you get it reserficed at how much it would cost to take a little extra metal off.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

Whatever you decide to do, balance each part. Get a cheap wheel balancer or lawn mower blade balancer that looks like a cone pointing up that rests on a vertical pin going up through the middle of the cone. These are like 7 bucks and are actually pretty good. I used this method and took a surprising amount of vibration out of the 240SX. The aftermarket pressure plate was way out of balance, several 1/4" holes in non load bearing areas balanced it out just fine. There are no good vibrations in rotating machinery.
bones33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 04:47 PM   #5
Registered Member

Cool.
I will definitely go with the resurfaced CX flywheel and an OEM style clutch. If I got a clutch from an autoparts store such as napa, autozone, or O'Reilleys, should I worry about it being out of balance? I assume the 1.6L is internally balanced...right?
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
*shrug*

I wouldn't worry heavily about the clutch being out of balance. If you're feeling cheap I have a cx clutch with a lot of life in it laying around,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Registered Member

Sweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I wouldn't worry heavily about the clutch being out of balance. If you're feeling cheap I have a cx clutch with a lot of life in it laying around,
Thanks.
I am cheap and will let you know.
Any preference between companies such as dynapak (Fenco), exedy, or duralast. I was able to find new, fairly cheap OE kits made by these companies. Dynapak one is dirt cheap....Exedy one is on ebay for $85 shipped, and duralast is from autozone for $120.

I need a new throw-out bearing for sure anyways.....
Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the ebay exedy clutch also. You will want to make sure that the disc and PP are stamped diakim. Diakim is the OEM manufacturer for nissan and a few other asian makes. Exedy is owned by diakim and they are good clutches. If you buy a parts house clutch I would use napa. I don't care for the generic clutches sold at autozone, etc.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemysan View Post
I was going to suggest the ebay exedy clutch also. You will want to make sure that the disc and PP are stamped diakim. Diakim is the OEM manufacturer for nissan and a few other asian makes. Exedy is owned by diakim and they are good clutches. If you buy a parts house clutch I would use napa. I don't care for the generic clutches sold at autozone, etc.
Good to know. I was leaning towards that exedy anyways, now I know how not to get ripped off on ebay (sort of). The dynapak is super cheap but I have read they have slipping problems even when they are new....
Old 06-06-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

I installed the CX transmission over memorial day weekend. I used an oem exedy clutch kit off ebay and a resurfaced CX flywheel. The clutch is softer than the one I removed (I did bleed the clutch) but I am getting used to it.
I got 50mpg on my first tank. I still need to install a header gasket, gas cap, and change the oil in the tranny as there was some dirt in it but I am pleased with the 5-6mpg increase.