BG 44K power enhancer / fuel system cleaner - anyone try this stuff ???
I am considering trying the BG 44K cleaner that you add to the gas tank after a fill up. It comes in an 11 oz can and costs about $18. I have heard that it works well but would like to know if any GS regular has tried it. The manufacturer claims that it will remove carbon deposits and oil varnish in the injectors and in the combustion chamber - fact or fraud ????
It's similar to Seafoam and it's generally sold only to independent auto stores and auto dealerships. Honda dealers use it apparently when offering the "scheduled" maintenance after 30K miles or whatever.
I'm not concerned about the price as much as I fear this "additive" will make my VX's relatively mild rough idle and hesitation issue worse.
I tried it in The Beast almost a year ago... I felt it had done some good, but didn't have dramatic results because I had just had a fuel system flush at the dealer about 8 months before... I didn't pay retail though... Bought it from my brother in law and got it at cost.
There's 2 gas additives you need to know about, ispopropyl alcohol (Isopropanol, 1-propanol, IPA) and mineral spirits (Varsol etc)... 90% of the miracle in a bottle stuff is only those, or a combination of those. The other 10% has dashes of stuff that is very close to lacquer thinner or brake cleaner, even transmission fluid in it. Acetone whether it gains MPG or not also helps clean crap out.
If you suspect gummy injectors, try first 4oz of mineral spirits in a tank... if you suspect carbonisation or sensor or cat fouling try 4oz of Isopropyl first.
All the rest is marketing...
Use at least 70% pure IPA for cleaning, if you suspect water contamination or are trying to cure old gas, use 99%
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice