Bump starting causing starting issues - Page 3 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #21
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo View Post
Maybe let the engine spin a little more in gear after you turn the key off to pump some of the fuel and air out then push in the clutch and then when the engine stopped turning - turn the key on again. This way if the injectors are leaking a little after shutting off they have a change to clear the cylinders. I used to rev the engine in my Geo and then turn off the key to flush and hold the gas pedal down out the moisture from the exhaust in cold weather as I turned off the engine.
When I turn the car off, I put the clutch in and turn it off at the same time. I want the gear to be disengaged when I turn it off so that I don't have any engine braking robbing me of precious momentum. My car doesn't roll very well, so I hate the idea of losing any momentum.

Psyshack, you really think it's an indication of something wrong with the car? I mean, cars aren't really supposed to be bump started on a regular basis, right? Although I guess many of you do do it on a regular basis with no ill effects.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:22 PM   #22
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyshack View Post
Find our whats wrong with the car.

Bump or key start it should fire right up.... I bet when you find the problem your mpg will get better.
Unfortunately I lack the time, resources and know how to find this problem. I mean, this is a resource, but I have a hard time translating text instructions into application to my car!

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Registered Member

Bump starting is no longer causing any issues with my car. Dunno why. Maybe I am letting my foot off the accelerator for a very small fraction of a second before killing the engine, but I don't really feel like I've changed my EOC habits too much. But it sure is great to be EOCing again.

Although now that it's cold, 35 degrees on my ride home today, the CEL comes on if I EOC too much cause the engine is getting a chance to cool down. The CEL is almost an FE aid for me at this point, because it lets me know when the o2 sensor is not hot enough.

Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM   #24
Supporting Member

1993CivicVX -

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Bump starting is no longer causing any issues with my car. Dunno why. Maybe I am letting my foot off the accelerator for a very small fraction of a second before killing the engine, but I don't really feel like I've changed my EOC habits too much. But it sure is great to be EOCing again.

Although now that it's cold, 35 degrees on my ride home today, the CEL comes on if I EOC too much cause the engine is getting a chance to cool down. The CEL is almost an FE aid for me at this point, because it lets me know when the o2 sensor is not hot enough.
The CEL is your friend, especially when you have a manual fan radiator switch that is not tied to the ignition. 30 Amp draw can soak your battery real quick. I almost want to modify my CEL image to show a little fan, .

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorSelectYear.jsp
cfg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #25
Registered Member

Well, I think letting the foot off the throttle before shutting engine off really makes a difference! Been doing much more EOC without any ill effects.

Although one strange thing is it does not like to bump in 2nd gear. It really lurches (slows way down) before engaging, and when it engages it's pretty rough--sound not so good. 3rd gear bump starting is really smooth tho.So even if I'm only going 17mph, I'll bump into third, suffer a momentary lug, and put the clutch in and go into 2nd. Maybe I'm just going too fast when I bump start into 2nd--maybe I'll try it at 10mph.

Old 11-20-2007, 07:19 AM   #26
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Use higher gears and just pop the clutch out an dthen in again - you really should only have to turn the engine over a compression stroke or two for it to start running and using a higher gear will put less strain on the clutch, gears, engine mounts, and you will loose less momentum. The idea of popping it out and then in again in a higher gear is that you want to turn the engine over to get it started in as high a gear as possible but that gear would be too high for driving as the RPM would be too low but it will be high enough an RPM to start the motor. You should be able to bump start in 2nd at about 3-5 mph. The best way to figure out which gear to use is to idle the engine in each gear and see what speed the car moves at when at idle. In my xB at 17mph I am in 5th at low idle - 1000 rpm is about 20mph.
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 AM   #27
Registered Member

hah, bump starting this car at 3-5mph would make the most awful sound and would be terrible for the car. One thing I don't like about this car's tranny is that the first and second gear should be closer with begger distances between the last three gears. 10mph is prolly good. Maybe 8, but even that could be harsh on the car.

5th gear is about 29mph at 1000rpm

Old 11-20-2007, 12:04 PM   #28
Registered Member

That's why you just pop the clutch out and in as fast as your foot can move then let the engine start up and then pick the right gear to accelerate with i.e. a lower gear. My xB will idle in first gear at 2mph with the clutch out.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:40 PM   #29
Supporting Member

Bump starting should be transparent to the average passenger. The saturn can be bump started at any forward speed. The process involves rapidly releasing the clutch and then back in again. You only looking to spin the engine 1-2 revolutions. In the saturn it only the clutch only needs to travel 3/4 the way out. This allows the engine to start and attain its idle smoothly. Usually passengers don't realize I EOC. They'll look over, see the oil light on and say "you should check your oil".

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #30
Registered Member

That can depend upon the compression ratio of the engine as well as the displacement, flywheel weight and transmission gear ratios as to how much you feel. It should be pretty smooth if done right just like you say.