Bypass filter for CRX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #1

Bypass filter for CRX

Okay - now that the Silver Sipper is getting back on the road next week, I'm ready to put in a bypass filter. I would LOVE a dual-filter setup if I can a) afford it and b) fit it in the engine compartment.

Suggestions, comments, pitfalls, other? I'd like to hear from anyone who's set one of these up. Best place to obtain one? Cheapest place? I know I want one so I don't need to be talked into it - just need to know about the installation more than anything.

Old 04-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Registered Member

Why does your sig say "looking to trade for a CRX" when you already own one? Also what is a bypass filter?

imzjustplayin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 03:50 AM   #3
Registered Member

buddy of mine runs dual filters on his chevette. he used a relocator attachment where the filter went and put the filters towards the side of the engine compartment.

I will say that he has a lot of room in his engine bay but on top of that, his filters are huge. his oil changes usually run him $40 or so. I think he uses synthetic.

GasSavers_BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #4

I have more than one CRX I want to experiment with - that's why I'm looking for another. Plus they are great for parts cars.

A bypass filter is a setup where you relocate the oil filter via hoses and adapters, and it allows you to use much larger filter(s) elsewhere in the engine bay. I know people who change their filter but never their oil by this method - you lose a quart each time the filter (usually significantly larger) is changed, thus no oil changes. Also, you get MASSIVELY increased oil filtration so your oil stays much cleaner - thus extending the life of the oil and the engine. These setups are often used with Amsoil or other true synthetics (POA), giving OCI (oil change interval) of well in excess of 50,000 miles. I've personally witnessed a Jeep with over 1 million miles - never changed the oil with this setup -just swap out a quart at a time.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ************* View Post
Also what is a bypass filter?
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...er.html?cat=27
bowtieguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101mpg View Post
I've personally witnessed a Jeep with over 1 million miles - never changed the oil with this setup -just swap out a quart at a time.
Got a link to more info on this story? I'd love to read about it, see pictures, etc.