CA VX to Fed VX conversion questions - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

CA VX to Fed VX conversion questions

Hey all.

I'm planning on converting my '94 CA VX to Fed. I've been reading and re-reading threads like this. There are some real gems on this forum and I appreciate anyone that's taken the time to share.

I've got the wideband o2 sensor, appropriate ecu, and will hopefully be squaring away some connectors tomorrow off of ebay.

I do however still have a few questions:

1.) What's the best way to test continuity without cutting up the plastic sheath of the wire (too much)?

2.) It sounds like shielding against RFI should be done. What is the best way to do this? Which wires need to be shielded?

3.) I had a number three, but now I can't, for the life of me, remember what it was. I'm sure I'll think of it soon....

Thanks!

GasSavers_mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango View Post
What's the best way to test continuity without cutting up the plastic sheath of the wire (too much)?
There are several approaches to this. Here's one idea: unplug the connector and touch a probe to the metal inside the connector. Or use what's called a backprobe (basically a long pin) inserted from the wiring side of the connector.

See related ideas here: http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...12&postcount=2

Quote:
It sounds like shielding against RFI should be done. What is the best way to do this? Which wires need to be shielded?
A nice neat approach is to use multiconductor shielded cable, which can be found at a place that sells electrical supplies.

Example:
http://www.electronicsurplus.com/com...oduct_id=79229
http://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/Wire2.html

In the other thread you referenced, I think I describe which wires need to be shielded.

Post more questions here and I'll try to answer. I found that the job was fairly simple, and worthwhile. The hard part was gathering all the information together, but once I had that, getting it done didn't take too long.

What I suggest is that you don't start until after you understand the whole picture of what you'll be doing.

monroe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroe74 View Post
There are several approaches to this. Here's one idea: unplug the connector and touch a probe to the metal inside the connector. Or use what's called a backprobe (basically a long pin) inserted from the wiring side of the connector.

See related ideas here: http://www.gassavers.org/showpost.ph...12&postcount=2

A nice neat approach is to use multiconductor shielded cable, which can be found at a place that sells electrical supplies.

Example:
http://www.electronicsurplus.com/com...oduct_id=79229
http://www.surplussales.com/Wire-Cable/Wire2.html

In the other thread you referenced, I think I describe which wires need to be shielded.

Post more questions here and I'll try to answer. I found that the job was fairly simple, and worthwhile. The hard part was gathering all the information together, but once I had that, getting it done didn't take too long.

What I suggest is that you don't start until after you understand the whole picture of what you'll be doing.

Monroe, thanks so much! You are very knowledgeable!
Old 06-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
Registered Member

Alright, I remembered what my third question was going to be:

3.) My VX currently has NGK zfr5f-11 spark plugs in it. They are pretty new. There are threads here, here, and here that make is sound like I should replace them with zfr4f-11 's. Is this really necessary?

The under the hood sticker recommends zfr4f-11's in general and zfr5f-11's for hot weather. I do live in San Diego where it is rather warm. Does this sticker apply only to a CA emissions vx?

thank you!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
You are very knowledgeable
Thanks for your kind words. I'm just trying to give back what I've learned here and in other forums. Because that's where a lot of my knowledge came from!

Quote:
The under the hood sticker recommends zfr4f-11's in general and zfr5f-11's for hot weather.
That's the same guidance that appears in the service manual. It applies to all years of the VX. Both CA and Federal.

I think you should be fine sticking with what you have, since you're in a hot climate. But make sure the plug is really ZFR5F-11, and not ZFR5FIX-11. The latter is the more expensive Iridium version. In one of the other threads you cited, someone said they had ZFR5F-11, but the photo they posted looked like ZFR5FIX-11.

In one of those threads, someone indicated that the Iridium plug is not good for the VX, and I have no reason to doubt that. But you should be OK if it's really ZFR5F-11.

An official NGK picture of the ZFR5F-11 is here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/ca...r=ZFR5F-11%20#

The difference between the 4F and the 5F has to do with what's called a heat rating. A nice explanation of what this means is here: http://www.ngk.de/Spark_plugs.649.0.html

Also see here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...overviewp2.asp

The 5F is a "colder" plug, compared with the 4F. If the 5F is wrong for your conditions, you can tell by looking at it. There will be a tendency for it to attract carbon deposits. In other words, a visual inspection of the plug can help you tell if you're using the right heat rating, for your driving conditions.

By the way, you might want to look around and get your hands on the Helms factory service manual. It exists in a pdf version. The book you want covers the Civic, 1992-1995.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:06 PM   #6
Registered Member

Something else to think about.

There are people on this forum who have taken a CA VX and converted it to Federal, and are driving it outside of CA. That's the category I'm in.

There are people on this forum who have bought a Federal VX, and have registered it in CA, and have passed smog.

But I don't know for sure that there's anyone who has done what you're trying to do: convert a CA VX to Federal, and pass smog in CA.

You should realize that just because a Federal VX can pass smog in CA, that doesn't mean that you're going to be able to do the same thing. Why? Because I think the CA smog-enforcement system applies the standard that is relevant to each vehicle. In other words, when you buy a used Federal VX in another state, and import it to CA, CA law allows that. And CA will read the VIN and apply only the Federal standard, not the CA standard. But in your situation, when you go for your smog test, CA will read your VIN and know your car was built as a CA car, and will expect it to pass CA smog. Will it pass? I don't know. Maybe not. Especially if the engine is not in perfect shape.

The good news is this: I think all you would have to do to get around this problem is temporarily reinstall your CA ECU. Something that's easy to do.

I don't know if you would also have to temporarily reinstall your CA O2 sensor. Probably not (in '92, the CA VX had the 5-wire sensor, even though the ECU didn't support lean burn). But if you follow the instructions I posted in the other thread, swapping sensors is easy. It's just done via unplugging connectors. There's no need to deal with cutting wires, soldering or tape (once you've created the special harness I described).
Old 06-23-2008, 04:42 PM   #7
Registered Member

Again, I very much appreciate it! Thank you!

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words. I'm just trying to give back what I've learned here and in other forums. Because that's where a lot of my knowledge came from!

That's the same guidance that appears in the service manual. It applies to all years of the VX. Both CA and Federal.

I think you should be fine sticking with what you have, since you're in a hot climate. But make sure the plug is really ZFR5F-11, and not ZFR5FIX-11. The latter is the more expensive Iridium version. In one of the other threads you cited, someone said they had ZFR5F-11, but the photo they posted looked like ZFR5FIX-11.

In one of those threads, someone indicated that the Iridium plug is not good for the VX, and I have no reason to doubt that. But you should be OK if it's really ZFR5F-11.

An official NGK picture of the ZFR5F-11 is here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/ca...r=ZFR5F-11%20#

The difference between the 4F and the 5F has to do with what's called a heat rating. A nice explanation of what this means is here: http://www.ngk.de/Spark_plugs.649.0.html

Also see here: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...overviewp2.asp

The 5F is a "colder" plug, compared with the 4F. If the 5F is wrong for your conditions, you can tell by looking at it. There will be a tendency for it to attract carbon deposits. In other words, a visual inspection of the plug can help you tell if you're using the right heat rating, for your driving conditions.

By the way, you might want to look around and get your hands on the Helms factory service manual. It exists in a pdf version. The book you want covers the Civic, 1992-1995.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Registered Member

You do bring up a very good point that I have been wondering about myself. I'm kind of curious to see how it goes. I'll give it shot getting it smogged in Fed mode. As you said, I can always fall back to CA mode. I'll report back with the results when the time comes.

Quote:
Something else to think about.

There are people on this forum who have taken a CA VX and converted it to Federal, and are driving it outside of CA. That's the category I'm in.

There are people on this forum who have bought a Federal VX, and have registered it in CA, and have passed smog.

But I don't know for sure that there's anyone who has done what you're trying to do: convert a CA VX to Federal, and pass smog in CA.

You should realize that just because a Federal VX can pass smog in CA, that doesn't mean that you're going to be able to do the same thing. Why? Because I think the CA smog-enforcement system applies the standard that is relevant to each vehicle. In other words, when you buy a used Federal VX in another state, and import it to CA, CA law allows that. And CA will read the VIN and apply only the Federal standard, not the CA standard. But in your situation, when you go for your smog test, CA will read your VIN and know your car was built as a CA car, and will expect it to pass CA smog. Will it pass? I don't know. Maybe not. Especially if the engine is not in perfect shape.

The good news is this: I think all you would have to do to get around this problem is temporarily reinstall your CA ECU. Something that's easy to do.

I don't know if you would also have to temporarily reinstall your CA O2 sensor. Probably not (in '92, the CA VX had the 5-wire sensor, even though the ECU didn't support lean burn). But if you follow the instructions I posted in the other thread, swapping sensors is easy. It's just done via unplugging connectors. There's no need to deal with cutting wires, soldering or tape (once you've created the special harness I described).
Old 06-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
Registered Member

"I'll give it shot getting it smogged in Fed mode."

I think I recently read a thread here about someone having success with that. Sorry I don't remember exactly which thread. Anyway, give it a try.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #10
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Reborn996
I just did this on Saturday... passed with flying colors too! Mine is a 1992 CA version VX that I just recently converted to a Federal by adding the P07-A01 ECU and 5-wire O2 sensor. I had also done a basic tune-up with plugs, cap, and rotor but otherwise it was stock.

So, with the motor running good you should be able to pass CA smog with a Federal version VX.

David

Reborn996 is offline   Reply With Quote