Cali VX Oxygen Sensor confusion - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #1

Cali VX Oxygen Sensor confusion

I just bought a '92 VX today. I bought it from the original owners, who bought the car from a San Diego dealership in California. Now I checked under the hood and the car has a 5 wire oxygen sensor, with 7 wires to the connector. There is a California sticker on the hood. My understanding was that the California cars had a 4 wire sensor. What am I missing?

Keep in mind this car is completely untouched and dead stock. The car runs absolutely perfect. It does not have a shift light if that helps.

92VX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Possible that the original owners bought a non CA version that passed CA emissions.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:04 AM   #3

Is there a way to tell if I have the lean burn? Like an ECU part number?
Old 12-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
37280-P07-"XXX" where XXX = A00 or A01 will be a lean burn ECU

IIRC if XXX = L00 or L01 it will be a cali emissions ECU/non lean burn.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:19 AM   #5

It's an L00. Thanks for the info. Strange that the oxygen sensor has 5 wires. I guess if I want the lean burn all I need to do is change the ECU and I'm in business.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

That is most strange. You don't have the CEL on do you?

Quote:
Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #7

No on the CEL, just passed smog today. California just added another part to the smog test also. They now pressurize the gas tank with nitrogen to check the evaporative controls.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
Registered Member

Well, if it's passing CA smog without any troubles and not throwing a CEL... I would just roll with it. As long as it's getting the mileage you want it to with your chosen driving technique, then all is good

Quote:
Old 12-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #9
Registered Member

Huh... '92. That was the first production year for 5th gen Civics. Didn't someone else on the forum recently have this experience? CA emissions sticker, but needed a 5-wire O2? I wonder if Honda switched over to the 4-wire setup at a later date in response to a change in CA emissions requirements. Like maybe only '94-95 CA VXs use a 4-wire setup? Or maybe it's just the '92 year that uses a 5-wire sensor. Just throwing some ideas around.
GasSavers_bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 04:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski View Post
Huh... '92. That was the first production year for 5th gen Civics. Didn't someone else on the forum recently have this experience? CA emissions sticker, but needed a 5-wire O2? I wonder if Honda switched over to the 4-wire setup at a later date in response to a change in CA emissions requirements. Like maybe only '94-95 CA VXs use a 4-wire setup? Or maybe it's just the '92 year that uses a 5-wire sensor. Just throwing some ideas around.
I think you are on to something. I had looked at another CA VX and it had a five wire oxygen sensor, and it was a '92. There was also no shift light in this car. I believe you can run the 5 wire sensor with the 7 wires to the sensor plug with a non lean burn computer. But you can't run a lean burn ECU with the 4 wire setup. I am going to buy a Fed ECU and give it a shot. I want that lean burn and extra 5 mpg. I don't think there are any other differences between the two models.

One other thing was the owner of this car said that you couldn't buy the VX in California after 1992. I doubt this because of the presence of 4 wire VXs.

On the hunt for a Fed ECU.