Canadian VX - how to change instrument cluster (need Miles/Hour)? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #1
Registered Member

Canadian VX - how to change instrument cluster (need Miles/Hour)?

Hi, I just got a 92 Civic VX for my wife - it was brought from Canada a few years ago. So right now odometer and speedometer read in Km/h, which is Ok, but if I could get it to read MPH for cheap, I'd rather do that.

I wonder, is switching instruments cluster with US version a straight swap, or do I need to replace anything else (e.g speed sensor, ECU, etc)?

Also, how much should I expect to pay for those parts off of Ebay?

Thanks

Ross

djenyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The conversion should be a plug and play swap as far as I know. Finding a VX specific cluster and not paying $100 for it is hard to do though.

One thing you might try, if you're inclined to tinker, is to just grab a speedometer out of a cluster and just swap that portion. It's only three more screws and a couple of clips more than just swapping out the entire cluster. That way you are assured to maintain the proper tachometer and upshift indicator in your cluster.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via ICQ to theholycow Send a message via AIM to theholycow Send a message via MSN to theholycow Send a message via Yahoo to theholycow
The cheap way would be to just re-label the speedometer. White-out (or paint matching the background color) and a Sharpie (or a whiteout-pen if the background is black) would do the job.
Old 06-05-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Floating around on the net you might find "overlays" for people who wanted black letters on white, yellow on purple etc etc...
I remember The RoadWarrior..To understand who he was, you have to go back to another time..the world was powered by the black fuel & the desert sprouted great cities..Gone now, swept away..two mighty warrior tribes went to war & touched off a blaze which engulfed them all. Without fuel, they were nothing..thundering machines sputtered & stopped..Only those mobile enough to scavenge, brutal enough to pillage would survive. The gangs took over the highways, ready to wage war for a tank of juice
GasSavers_RoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
Registered Member

TomO, thanks for informative reply. For replacing the speedometer, do you know if any one from another model 92-95 Civic will work, or is it VX specific?

theholycow - don't think sharpie will fly by my wife, convincing her to give up her 2002 car for a 92 will be hard enough.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
For just swapping out the speedo portion, any model Civic speedo will work.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
For just swapping out the speedo portion, any model Civic speedo will work.
Thanks, I'll do just that. I saw a bunch of them on ebay for under $50
Old 06-06-2008, 06:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

There are How-To's with pictures on Honda-tech if you want to search for them. But in order to swap out the speedo, you just need to push in the clear plastic tabs around the edge of the cluster to pop off the clear plastic cover, then remove the black bezel, then remove the three screws holding in the speedometer and swap them between clusters. Also look for any tears or cracks on the plastic circuit board on your original cluster and replace that as well, if needed.

Quote: