Car stalls when idling and A/C is on - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2006, 11:39 AM   #1
Driving on E

Car stalls when idling and A/C is on

Any ideas why my car might stall when I idle and have the A/C on? It's been doing this for a year, but I rarely use A/C.

It all started when I had my headgasket changed last year and they adjusted my timing.

We were driving onthe freeway yesterday and I threw it into nuetral to coast for a bit. i didn't expect my car to stall on the freeway, but it happened. I had a little panic attack for a second, but then I just decided to bump start the car.

What would cause this to happen? The idle just goes so low that the car stalls, and the A/C isthe culprit!

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:43 AM   #2

This happens to both of my Civics sometimes, but not all the time (one is auto and one is manual). The Civic idle is pretty low, and I think that with the compressor on, it may just be a little extra bogging down and the occasional cut out.

Is it happening a lot to you? Are you DPFI or MPFI? Have you tried swapping to a different IACV?

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
This happens to both of my Civics sometimes, but not all the time (one is auto and one is manual). The Civic idle is pretty low, and I think that with the compressor on, it may just be a little extra bogging down and the occasional cut out.

Is it happening a lot to you? Are you DPFI or MPFI? Have you tried swapping to a different IACV?
I'm DPFI. I would look at the IACV, but I figure with the engine swap on the horizon it's not really worth the hassle.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'm DPFI. I would look at the IACV, but I figure with the engine swap on the horizon it's not really worth the hassle.
yea i was going to say... who cares its only while the a/c is on and the motor is going.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member

You could always adjust the throttle stop until it quits stalling. If it's not adjustable, you can just put some duct tape or whatever on it to take up some room. You'll have a high idle, but it might be worth it.

Also, you can try taking off the IACV and washing it with some solvent if it's gummed up.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:51 PM   #6
Registered Member

this problem could go away by itself after the swap.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:03 PM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
Also, you can try taking off the IACV and washing it with some solvent if it's gummed up.
this is what solved my idle problems even i dont have a/c. i gota fix that. (i so envy u matt. ex interiour chillin in your manual w/ ac goin )

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #8
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Could be you are advanced a little too much on the timing - it tends to make it stall easier because the spark occurs btdc and at low speeds this makes the engine stall easier - sort of kicks back. You also have tuned for more efficiency thus less gas is being used to idle and the AC loads that little bit down. You may also need some lubrication in your AC coolant to keep it running freely. Usually there is a idle control that kicks it up when the AC is on - No? My xB idle comes up when I turn on the heater fan.

JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote