Chev.Truck belt routed incorrectly - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 04-15-2007, 04:47 AM   #1
Registered Member

Chev.Truck belt routed incorrectly

I realized today that the belt on my truck was slightly misrouted. It is a 4.3 V6 full size chevy truck with one belt for everything. Everything was correct except the waterpump/fan, which was turning the wrong way! To top it all off, the coolant temp guage did not work (I just bought the truck and am starting to go thru everything). It does not look like the engine/head gasket was damaged! good thing these old school engines are tough! So I rerouted the belt and have yet to start it up. I am crossing my fingers. There dosen't appear to be any coolant in the oil...Does anyone know of any other signs of a cracked head gasket?
Does anyone know if some coolant would have circulated thru the engine with the water pump turning the wrong way? I drove three hundred miles with it already (mostly just to get it home), and who knows how long the guy has been driving it like that. He did say he changed the belt recently.
ARRRRGGGG

GasSavers_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:06 AM   #2
Registered Member

Another reason I hate serpentine belt systems!!!!

However, I think you are fine. The cooling system is enclosed.

Unless you overheated it there shouldn't be a problem. Sounds like if he was selling the truck than he hadn't replaced that belt too long ago.

Just keep an eye on the level for the next few trips.

Also, take the thremostat out and replace it. If anything got hurt that would be the first thing.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:51 AM   #3
Registered Member

After looking it over again, I think that although the belt was misrouted, the water pump and fan were still spinning the right way (though I am not certain). I should have drawn a diagram of how it was routed previously, because now i can't remember.
The truck did not smell or feel hot after driving it several hundred miles. You are right I should replace that thermostat.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Registered Member

Another sign of a blown head gasket would be that you lose coolant.

Most centrifugal pumps will still move some liquid if they are turning the wrong way. BUT, like you say, I doubt yours was turning the wrong way.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

what year and type of truck?
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
Registered Member

It is a 1992 chevy 1500 W/T with the 4.3L V6.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:46 PM   #7

spinning backwards will reduce it's flow rate but if the truck was empty and not towing 5000lbs on a 100 degree day then I would not worry about it. If the truck overheated you would have smelled the antifreeze but since it didn't boil over or anything you are fine. It will usually boil over before the head gets damaged.

You would be surprised how little coolant flow it takes to keep an engine cool with a light load on the highway.
CoyoteX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:49 AM   #8
Registered Member

The Chevy serpentine belt systems did turn the water pump backwards as compared to the older v-belt systems though. As long as the engine fan is turning the right direction you've got it right.

GasSavers_BluEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Registered Member

Sweet, that is a relief that it is probably fine. it didnt boil over, and it didnt seem to lose any coolant on the 230 mi drive home, so I guess its fine. Now Ive got the belt routed correctly. thanks for all the replies!