Civic died again tonight - Fuelly Forums

Android Users - Coming Soon! - Migrating from aCar 4.8 to 5.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #1
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Civic died again tonight

A few weeks ago my civic died directly after using vtec. Tonight it did the same thing when we were cruising around town. I had the A/C on. I took my foot off of the gas, coasted in nuetral, and then the car died. It wouldn't restart (just like before) unless I let it sit for 10 minutes or so.

I'm baffled. Every time this happens I am just giving myself more ammo to buy another car.

Next week I might be making actual sales calls for work. I either need to find out what the problem is (and fast) or start making a plan to buy a car.
__________________

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,978
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
A few weeks ago my civic died directly after using vtec. Tonight it did the same thing when we were cruising around town. I had the A/C on. I took my foot off of the gas, coasted in nuetral, and then the car died. It wouldn't restart (just like before) unless I let it sit for 10 minutes or so.

I'm baffled. Every time this happens I am just giving myself more ammo to buy another car.

Next week I might be making actual sales calls for work. I either need to find out what the problem is (and fast) or start making a plan to buy a car.
With your situation, you may want a temporary car that get's "OK" FE to get you by, if you need to. FE pays a premium right now, and if you need the car for work, by all means get something reliable. Get a price range in mind and do some research. We won't think any less of you if you have to get a V-6 Sedan or something in the interim. I used the '99 TL as a stepping-stone into paying off debt and having a reliable ride to haul the fam and enjoy the comforts. It allowed us to have a lower payment, save up, and make a decent down payment on newer car. You might have to do something like that in the meantime. Best of luck, though. This has to be weighing heavy on you right now. Keep us informed, and let us know if we can help...

RH77
__________________

__________________
rh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:59 AM   #3
Moderator
 
GasSavers_DaX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,209
Country: United States
Matt...it REALLY sounds like a main relay issue to me.

Next time your car does this, check to see if the fuel pump is running - carry a wrench with you and crack the nut on the fuel rail. If you're by yourself, prop open the hood, put a rag around the nut and turn the key to the ON position for a second or two, then back off. Check the rag for fuel. If there is none, I'd almost throw money at the main relay.

My ED3's ignition switch went bad at one point too...it had me baffled...sometimes acted like a bad main relay and other times acted like a bad coil / ignitor. It's easy enough to replace - two tiny 6mm bolts hold it to the back of the ignition key cylinder and it's a few wires...AutoZone even stocks new ones for sale.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Registered Member
 
JanGeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,442
Country: United States
Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
Air Fuel Spark - pick one!
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
 
krousdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,480
Country: United States
Location: Raleigh, NC
I was thinking main relay also. I got a new one on ebay dor the Del SOl and the problem went away.
__________________


krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Supporting Member
 
lovemysan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 595
Country: United States
I say fix what you have and if it blinks out rent something to get you through until it is fixed. Cars can be rented in the mid $20s per day plus fees. Which is less than a monthly payment and full coverage insurance.

Or if not I go with something extra cheap. I found saturns to be good cars for not much money. I'm sure there are other cheaper cars out there though.
__________________
02 Saturn SL
5 speed
for pics click the link below

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:41 AM   #7
Driving on E
 
Matt Timion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,110
Country: United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Matt...it REALLY sounds like a main relay issue to me.

Next time your car does this, check to see if the fuel pump is running - carry a wrench with you and crack the nut on the fuel rail. If you're by yourself, prop open the hood, put a rag around the nut and turn the key to the ON position for a second or two, then back off. Check the rag for fuel. If there is none, I'd almost throw money at the main relay.

My ED3's ignition switch went bad at one point too...it had me baffled...sometimes acted like a bad main relay and other times acted like a bad coil / ignitor. It's easy enough to replace - two tiny 6mm bolts hold it to the back of the ignition key cylinder and it's a few wires...AutoZone even stocks new ones for sale.
After talking with diemaster last night I do think it's the main relay. It also explains why I can start the car again after letting it "cool down" for 15 minutes or so.

I only wish the Honda parts department was open on Saturday.

Diemaster also mentioned to me something that I never knew before. Hopefully it's true. According to him on DPFI Hondas the injectors run through the main relay. On MPFI hondas the injectors do not. Apparently upgrading to MPFI puts an extra load on DPFI wiring, often causing main relay failure.

As for my plans, I need to quit being emotional and be a bit more rational. My brain keeps telling me to keep my civic and wait at least until the next calendar year to get a Fit.

Maybe I should write this on a piece of paper and leave it on my bathroom mirror so I can see it every morning.

BTW, does anyone know if a main relay from a 95 civic (CX I think) will work in a 89 Civic?
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,978
Country: United States
4th Option

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanGeo
Air Fuel Spark - pick one!
Anymore there seems to be a 4th option: the darn ECU or Electric gremlins (controls all 3). In this instance, the relay (assuming that's the problem) won't let the engine turn to create the spark, pump the fuel and draw in the air. More parts anymore than on a '70 Gran Torino.

RH77
__________________
rh77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:40 AM   #9
|V3|2D
 
thisisntjared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,186
Country: United States
Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
its very intersting that its the relay causing these problems. i believe it.
__________________
don't waste your time or time will waste you
thisisntjared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:58 AM   #10
Registered Member
 
krousdb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,480
Country: United States
Location: Raleigh, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
BTW, does anyone know if a main relay from a 95 civic (CX I think) will work in a 89 Civic?
The same guy is selling both an 88-81 and a 92-95. It they were interchangeable I would think they would be listed as 88-95.

88-91
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-91...spagenameZWDVW


92-95
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-95...spagenameZWDVW
__________________

__________________


krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new link for Mobile after submit Pontiac Fuelly Web Support and Community News 1 02-07-2009 05:48 AM
I hear crickets GasSavers_davens General Fuel Topics 18 07-24-2006 08:01 PM
The Honda Fit GasSavers_DaX General Fuel Topics 54 05-13-2006 01:52 AM
Sticker Shock -- Inefficient New Furnace rh77 General Discussion (Off-Topic) 8 01-25-2006 07:15 AM
DIY: Custom Shift Knob Coloring SVOboy Experiments, Modifications and DIY 5 01-12-2006 05:55 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.