Civic HX 195 Degree Thermostat?-SVOboy? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #1
Registered Member

Civic HX 195 Degree Thermostat?-SVOboy?

I went to Autozone and O'Reilleys today and neither had a 195 degree thermostat for my 1997 Civic HX. Autozone had one for 18 bucks and needed to be ordered and O'Reilleys claimed they didn't have one in the computer. Then, while searching the internet, I found one that said it would fit in all 89-05 D-series motors except the HX. I am also lost on the difference between STANDARD and OFFSET. Offset is more expensive but I don't really know what the difference is... Napa has the best selection and prices for this particular part but I want to get the right one. I figure SVOboy might know.......

Kent

kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
*shrug*

I don't know other than I bought mine for 8 at autozone, I think all 88-00 d series should fit, don't see why the HX would be any different.

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
I don't know other than I bought mine for 8 at autozone, I think all 88-00 d series should fit, don't see why the HX would be any different.
Thanks. I really haven't noticed a difference in the housing so I don't see why it would be any different either...
Old 02-28-2007, 07:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
the reason for lower temp thermostats is to reduce nitrogen oxide emitions, in doing so engine efficnetcy is compromised, lucky for you the engine blocks have stayed simaler enough that the older higher temp thermostats still fit in alot of modles, it is often just one of the numbers in the part number that has changed, normaly the last I think, by skiming over part numbers, and paying attention to years you can often figur out what diget that is that is changed.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Registered Member

Okay, I did the swap awhile back. Now my gauge registers right in the middle rather than alittle below. My '97 civic HX has the offset thermostat. Offset means the hole in the middle is off to the side, rather than centered. The offset 195 thermostat was more expensive. I ended up spending a little less than $20 for the thermostat and a gallon of anti-freeze from Napa. Napa is the place to go for the 195 thermostat.