Civic VX back in service! - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2011, 08:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Civic VX back in service!

Hi all...

1992 VX 186,000 miles.

My 2nd VX, have known the original owner of this one since new. 3000mi oil changes on Mobil1 5w30 since break in.

The car got hit and sat for 2 yrs. I had the body repaired and put it back on the road, but I'm having some idle and performance issues.

Fresh fuel, fresh filters, oil/filter changed. I cleaned the plugs, ran 2 tanks with a high concentration of Techron FI cleaner. I removed and cleaned the idle air valve. I've put about 2,000 miles on it now and no change.

Still getting a very low idle. Will not idle up with the A/C on and sometimes it idles so slow you think it's going to just up and die, A/C or no A/C. Really struggles with power with the A/C on, and I don't remember it being so bad on my 1st '92.

Went through the idle set procedure and all looked ok. No real difference to be had.

Was thinking that a tune up + throttle body clean + off the car injector service were in order.

Anybody have a write up on cleaning the throttle body? I'm a bit lost on what to do or look for.

Harold

jtexfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

Re: Civic VX back in service!

My car sounds similar to yours, the things I know about for my vehicle is related needing a replacement clutch, but the symptoms seem similar to what you describe. I also have disc slippage in low gear, high torque, though.