Civic VX PCV valve, or lack there of. - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
Civic VX PCV valve, or lack there of.

It seems like all the conversation about PCV valves has become rather scattered between a number of pages, making it hard to fallow, and hard to compare to get clear information as to what is going on, so if you have information on the proper PCV valve set up for a civic vx, please post it, and site where you go the information from, as I've gotten information from dealers that disagrees with what the parts store say, and online dealers disagree with what local dealers order.
but really, I want to know if I should take the valve out of my pcv system.

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
Registered Member

does this diagram help? you're looking for #6:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...EATHER+CHAMBER

Old 01-13-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
THIS Has all the proper info on the VX/CX PCV valve. The info is taken straight from the parts catalog for all Honda/Acura vehicles in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO
PCV info for CX/VX model:
I just checked on my Honda E-catalog (the same software the dealer uses) and got different numbers for the VX/CX model as compared to the rest of the models.

VX/CX = PCV 17130-P07-A02 (shown to be used on all CX/VX model civics 92-95) The rest = 171300-PM6-003 (all models except CX/VX)

The reason for posting this info is because the VX/CX PCV valve is not like a normal PCV valve. It's basically a 90 degree elbow with no innards. This allows the crankcase to be under low pressure most all of the time allowing for better FE.

Usually Honda has the parts grouped by ECU ie VX=P07 and the correct corresponding parts have that in the middle of the part number. So it seems that VX and CX share the same PCV valve.
So if the dealer tries to give you a part number with anything other than P07 in the middle of it, it's not meant for your VX/CX.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
Registered Member

see, the thing is, when I went to the dealer 6 months or so ago, and asked for part number #2 in the diagram that lindermant posted, the part they tried to sell me looked like #6, of course the hoses are not long enough for a 90degree elbo to fit where part #2 is suposed to fit, but they swore it was right right part, that honda had "updated" the part, and that the straight bit was no longer avalible, but I wonder if someone mixed things up, and what they tried to sell me might have been the part that goes were the pcv valve would normaly go.
to further confuse things, when I went to Advanced Auto (parts store), they said that yes, the VX does get a PCV valve, and that the CX and VX have compleatly differnt pcv valves, one of them gets a straight valve, the other gets a 90 degree bend and they both have the innerds.
so it seems that every place I can get parts from disagrees with what you guys are saying.
Tomo, could you give the part number for the pcv joint, part #2 the the drawing above, so that monday when I'm near the honda dealer, I can walk in with the part numbers, and this new information, and see what they can tell me, I suspect that part they tried to sell me befor should still be in their stock, even tho they had to order it for me.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #5

Part #2 is not a PCV valve. It is strictly a hose barb. It has no innards. Part #6 is a PCV valve, it does have the innards (it is a 1 way valve, like all PCV valves).
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #6
*shrug*

I wonder if I need to get a new valve...I think I'm using a d15b7 pcv valve on my cx intake...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #7
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Tomo, could you give the part number for the pcv joint, part #2 the the drawing above, so that monday when I'm near the honda dealer, I can walk in with the part numbers, and this new information, and see what they can tell me, I suspect that part they tried to sell me before should still be in their stock, even tho they had to order it for me.
#2 is only available as a right angle part now, 11854-P07-A00. It also shows that the 90* PCV valve is no longer used, it's is supperceded by part 17130-P2M-A01 that is the PCV Honda used on 96+ civic models. So basically it looks like they've discontinued the original part number. The picture I get with my Honda software is attached as a PDF.

Here is a link to the Honda e-Catalog. Honda e-Catalog
Username: hondapc
Password: hondapc

IF you have trouble getting it to work right check the troubleshooting link under the login area.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PCV pic.pdf (35.6 KB, 164 views)

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:31 AM   #8
Registered Member

Honda does have some issues with associating part in diagram with correct part. I have no idea how extensive a problem it is, but I've seen it first hand on at least one occasion. Case in point: According to Honda parts diagrams and associated part #'s, the bottom clutch pedal switch takes the larger switch. That part will NOT fit where the diagram shows it fitting--it only fits where the larger top switch goes.
A couple weeks ago, I purchased part 6 & 4 from a Honda dealer (for 92 Civic VX). The PCV valve (part 6) has innards, and though restricted, air can be blown through it in both directions. I checked/cleaned part 2. It appeared to be original Honda part (blue plastic with innards).
The parts fit good, car runs good & I'm getting around 58 mpg with apprx. 60% highway miles with no engine off coasting, so I guess the parts are working.
honda4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

when I replaced the straight hose barb (#2) it was empty as well, I ended up carving out the innerds of a straight PCV valve to make a new hose barb fitting, as I was expearincing some vaccum leak in the hoses, and fittings, the biggest leak was at the gromet (#3) and of course the #4 hose was pretty dry and starting to crack as well, but of course the very first part I replaced was the empty 90 degree pcv joint (#6) and tossed the old part, installing a PCV valve.
I'm a bit baffled as to why the VX isn't suposed to have a PCV valve, but the dealer, and every other auto parts store will sell you one.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Supporting Member

Anyone know why they didn't put an empty pcv valve on the insight, or if there is any reason why I shouldn't empty the one on my insight?

Thanks guys!

Frank

budomove is offline   Reply With Quote