Compression Tester - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 07-11-2006, 04:26 PM   #1
Registered Member

Compression Tester

I went to Autozone today to borrow a compression tester and a vacuum tester. But unfortunately they dont have those items available to "borrow" . I wanted to check compression and vacuum to try to figure out my emmissions problem. Has anyone ever rented these things? New ones are $43 and $28 with tax to but. Any idea how much to rent?

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Registered Member

I've never rented one. I used to own one (someone gave it to me), then it just sat around gathering dust for 5 years, so I sold it at a garage sale years ago. Never should have done that. I've borrowed one from a friend twice in the last 2 years.

Which is to say, maybe it's not such a bad idea to buy one. I didn't know they were even available to rent.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
an auto mecanic should be able to do a compression test for you, otherwise they are a great tool to own for trubble shooting, and for when you plan to buy a car with a few miles on it, I've done without a vaccum gauge, altho now I own one, and rather like it, you can do without by sucking on the little hoses to make stuff move, it's fasinating, and works really well.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JanGeo
All it is is an air pressure gauge with a spark plug fitting and a one way valve - adapt a stick pressure gauge that goes up to 200+ PSI
JanGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

$28 isn't too bad. If you can't find one to rent or borrow (maybe PepBoys?) it wouldn't be a bad idea to buy one. You could do compression tests on your friends's cars and make a few bucks or a case of beer. I'm getting my house painted because both of my painter buddies drive crappy cars! If you buy one, avoid the universal type with the rubber cone on the end. Get one that screws in - it's the only way to go. Sometimes Sears has pretty good deals on tools, or look on eBay.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

I think Princess Auto is Canadian only, but I picked up my compression tester there for $19. My vac gauge was $39, but that's because it's a dash mount unit. An underhood was $19 as well.

Princess Auto is basically a farm/auto/fabricating parts/tools franchise. It's my favorite place for tools and generic parts - even better than Canadian Tire.

I don't know what would be the USA equivalent...???
Old 07-12-2006, 07:54 AM   #7
Registered Member

Im going the Ebay route. In about an hour it will be mine as long as im not outbid. Looks like $15 shipped. It's used but no big deal.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:59 PM   #8
Registered Member

IMO every backyard mechanic should have a compression tester. I remember mine being fairly inexpensive, although it's been a while since I bought it.

It's nice to be able to do a compression test whenever I feel like it. But then again, I tinker with my engines more than most people. lol

LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote