Converting '86 HF (carb) to fed VX (efi). - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 02-13-2008, 09:23 PM   #11
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
I don't know where you got the specs for your '86 crx hf engine from, but I have that exact engine sitting on the bench in the garage right now, and it is a cvcc head, the only 1984-87 crx that didn't have a cvcc head was the 1.3L and the SI modle, the DX and HF both have CVCC heads, so for fuel injection you are going to need a whole head, you are most likely going to need the head off the SI engine to get one fits right, and I'm not sure wha they use for crank shaft position sensor, CPU, and all that.
Who did your carb rebuild?

GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
Registered Member

I'll pop the carb (and valve cover) off this weekend and take pictures so we can get the CVCC question settled. You guys might be right.

This is my first venture into pre-OBD1 land...

Colby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:30 PM   #13
Registered Member

If its a CVCC, the 3rd barrel will be a dime sized hole off to the driver's side of top of the carb. After you get the air cleaner off, you will likely need to take the intake screen off the top of the carb to see the small third barrel (if its like my carb).

Another CVCC indicator- when you take off the valve cover, you will actually see 1 tiny valve stem/rocker assembly for each cylinder.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #14
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_Ryland
cvcc honda engines also have the spark plugs coming out right over the exaust manifold, on the front side of the head, not the top of the head, about an inche below the lip of the valve cover, they are like this because they are in the prechamber next to that little auxilery valve, it's a great design, and I'm not sure if you can get better gas mileage with fuel injection, not easly at least, but I've rebuilt these carburators a number of times, and I'm a big fan of them, but I know what it's like to have problems.
GasSavers_Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #15
Registered Member

It's a CVCC alright. Guess I'll just have to keep fussing with the carb and maze of vacuum lines =/

Colby is offline   Reply With Quote