Converting to a FED VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 10-11-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
Registered Member

Converting to a FED VX

I have a '93 CA VX and I would like to convert to a FED VX with lean burn mode.
From what I have read, all I need is the O2 sensor and the FED ECU right?
Is it just plug and play? Anyone have part #'s for the two items?
Thanks,
Gary

garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
There are currently two VX ECUs available. But until I decide which one I am buying, I am going to keep my secrets. From my understanding, the ECU you want is p07. Ask Tom0 where the cheap 5 wire 02 sensor is. Recently there were some available for the amazing price of $79.

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The link in my signature for VX info has a link to one of the members on this board that converted his Cali VX to a federal. It is under the Engine heading.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
There are currently two VX ECUs available. But until I decide which one I am buying, I am going to keep my secrets. From my understanding, the ECU you want is p07. Ask Tom0 where the cheap 5 wire 02 sensor is. Recently there were some available for the amazing price of $79.
What is this secret -- please do tell .
Or tell me privately ..
Gary
Old 10-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
The link in my signature for VX info has a link to one of the members on this board that converted his Cali VX to a federal. It is under the Engine heading.
Thanks Tom, I just finished reading it. I read parts of it earlier today, but glossed over it. So he's getting 68mpg! Nice.

Did he ever get the shift light hooked up? The CA VX's do not have shift lights, but I'm not sure if the bulb is actually there..

Will the 37820-P07-A01 ECU work on the 92-93?
Looks like 92-93 came with 37820-P07-A00,
and the 94-95 came with 37820-P07-A01.

If I get the A01 will it need sensors that might only be on the 94-95 VXs?

Gary
Old 10-12-2007, 07:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
All sensors are the same for the VX no matter the year. The A01 will work just fine for you. yes the A01 revision came out in the 94-95 VX.

I don't know if he ever got the shift light hooked up, but it wouldn't be hard to do if you look at the pinout of the ECU.

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
Registered Member

Tom,
Where can I get a cheap L1H1 O2 sensor? The best I can find is 170 on ebay.
Does anyone have an old CA VX O2 sensor for sale? I want the connector off it so this conversion will be plug and play for smog.

Just found out the the cat is different on the Fed VX. it's alluded to in this article:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-11321093.html

and mentioned elsewhere in others.

Gary
Old 10-13-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
Registered Member

$170 on Ebay seems to be the going rate for a good L1H1 that is new. Oxygensensor.net (I think that's the site) has about the same price as well.

IIRC, the Cali VX O2 is just a standard 4 wire O2, so one from an Si, or DX model will work as well.

Quote:
Old 10-14-2007, 05:42 AM   #9
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to 1993CivicVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
Tom,
Where can I get a cheap L1H1 O2 sensor? The best I can find is 170 on ebay.
Does anyone have an old CA VX O2 sensor for sale? I want the connector off it so this conversion will be plug and play for smog.

Just found out the the cat is different on the Fed VX. it's alluded to in this article:

http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-11321093.html

and mentioned elsewhere in others.

Gary
Ugh!! That article! How many times did he say "learn" when he meant "lean"! Is it learn or is it lean? Get it straight bub!

Lary, I feel guilty. The auction on ebay closed and the other one I purchased from a private seller. I will keep an eye out for you for ECUs. Can't you maybe go to the junk yard? Anyway, that was rather selfish on my part. I will keep an eye out tho.

Jeez, at one point the guy even wrote "lear" . Is it really so hard to keep the "n" and "r" straight?

Car mods are overrated. Just gotta adjust that nut behind the wheel for best mpg.

Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.
1993CivicVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993CivicVX View Post
Ugh!! That article! How many times did he say "learn" when he meant "lean"! Is it learn or is it lean? Get it straight bub!

Lary, I feel guilty. The auction on ebay closed and the other one I purchased from a private seller. I will keep an eye out for you for ECUs. Can't you maybe go to the junk yard? Anyway, that was rather selfish on my part. I will keep an eye out tho.

Jeez, at one point the guy even wrote "lear" . Is it really so hard to keep the "n" and "r" straight?
Hey I purchased one from ebay. I used the "buy it now" option and bought it for $50 + 10 shipping. So $60 for the P07-A001! Not bad.

BTW, my neighbor, a sixty year old man, bought a VX when I told him about the mileage I'm getting. He drives a GMC truck, now he mostly drives the VX. His wife hates the VX. Anyways, I spoke with him today and told him I'm converting my VX from CA to 49-state version. I ask if I can look at his VX. He has a Fed VX!! His O2 sensor is 5 wire. When he bought it the prev owner had some problems passing CA (bay area) smog, but he passed. He got a best of 60mpg, but his avg is in the 40's and 50's mpg.

Anyways, now I have a reference VX (neighbors).

Gary