CRX HF tune up suggestions? - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
Supporting Member

CRX HF tune up suggestions?

I am planning to have someone I know do a tune up for me and I was thinking of having the following done:

* replace transmission oil
* replace spark plugs
* replace cap and rotor
* replace ingnition wires

(oil and oil filter have just been changed)

I am wondering if anyone can make recommendations when it comes to the spark plugs and ignition wires. Also, can I still buy an original Honda cap and rotor or is it always going to be some other brand that makes it to OEM specs (I always prefer real Honda parts).

Also if anyone can think of something else that would be good to do to a CRX HF with 149K on the engine (and an unclear maintenance history), I appreciate the input.

McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered Member

The most obvious thing to do if you have an unclear maintenance history would be to replace the timing belt. In theory, the car wouldn't run any better after, but it prevents a timing belt failure.

I've heard arguments both ways, but if you do the timing belt, I'd change the water pump as well. It's not an expensive item, and once you're in there for the timing belt, why not? I know if I didn't with my luck, the water pump would go a few weeks after I replaced the timing belt.

And of course, if you replace the water pump, refil it with fresh coolant.

mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Registered Member

fuel filter / air filter
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

Don't forget to check the timing belt tensioner bearing for excess play while you are in there.
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Supporting Member

I recommend OEM ignition parts. NGK plugs, honda wires, cap, and button. Wix filters are good quality.

https://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i3...emysan/saturn/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"for best mileage swap in a d15z1"
lovemysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #6
Supporting Member

I appreciate the suggestions! The timing belt is actually the one thing I do know has happened, so I want to give it a general tune up and start collecting the parts for it.
McPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
Registered Member

do a cooling system flush (just drain old, run garden hose thru radiator till it comes out clear on the engine output side with engine running. also take off the 2 heater core hoses and run water thru each hose until its clear comming out)

lets see you got
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
trannyfluid/filter
oils been done
timminng belt
fuel filter
air filter
check all the other fluids
lube the ball joints and steerign parts
might run around wiht a can of lithium grease on the door hinges

i would really look over the vacum lines, if any are iffy looking(cracked, gets your hands black when touched etc) replace them all.

check all lights and make sure they work(somehting u can do while waiting for stuff to drain etc)

could do a compression check on the cylinders, tells you everythign you need to know about the inside engine parts. that and its always nice to know what the compression is now so IF you have a problem later down the road you can check and see which cilynders are bad.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
Registered Member

I'd also consider replacing the upper and lower radiator hoses as well as the small bypass hose. Both my CRX and my Integra managed to blow the small bypass hose, leaving me stranded.
mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

ah yea, forgot about them, usually thier under $10 per hose and its one of those better replace it before you have to type of things. also replace your thermostat with a new one thier super cheap(like $2)

do a thuro check of all the fuel/brake lines especially if you live in the rust belt. its always an adventure when a brake line blows. also check the brake fluid level, should be clear in color too. if rust colored or foggy have it flushed.
VetteOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:43 PM   #10
Supporting Member

You could also check if your oil pan gasket or head gasket are leaking and replace. Bushings in the suspension all get spongy after so many years same as the motor mounts. Also check, or change your brake fluid. Check charge on a/c (if any). I would also suggest that you just make the whole car like new. Because that would be awesome.

-

my favorite thread
88HF is offline   Reply With Quote