d15b vtec-e question - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Registered Member

d15b vtec-e question

Browsing this site I have noticed some familiar "faces" here from ecomodder.com (naturally) and honda-tech.com I'm known as "reformed" and "fogged306" on those sites respectively just incase anyone recognizes me.

Anyway on to my question, I just purchased a JDM d15b vtec-e, a P07, and a CX trans for my 1992 Civic LX. I'm looking into getting a lightweight underdrive pulley for my crank and have been looking at unorthodox racings pulleys. I wont be running anything but the alternator on this engine so I found a pulley that they make that eliminates those belts from the equation and only weighs 1lb. I remember reading somewhere that the engine I have is balanced differently than normal d15 motors so I wondering if I have to get a specific pulley for this engine or if this one will work. It specifies that it will work for the 88-95 Civic 1.5L SOHC 8/16V.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:10 AM   #2
Registered Member

From what I've heard about the lower-weight crank pulleys for Hondas is that they eliminate the harmonic dampener incorporated into the OEM pulleys, but then again, when I had the pulley off my d15z1 (which I believe has the same bottom end as your jdm model of the motor) I didn't remember seeing a dampener on it like on other Honda motors I've seen them on.

If you do decide on sticking with an OEM pulley, the OEM VX one has just two belts on it from the factory, but it would still have one unused place for the p/s pump on it.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yea, my engine should be nearly the same as yours, at least as far as I was told and could research seeing as how there are 3 different d15b engines. Mine should be the JDM equivalent to the d15z1. I've asked this question on honda-tech to no avail. I can't keep the stock one because its damaged so thats out. I'm thinking I'm just going to get the aftermarket one regardless. I don't spin my engine past 2k anyway so I probably wont hurt anything if the balance is a little off... I hope.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Yeah, you're fine with an aftermarket crank pulley on the D15Z1 (equivalent), while on any other Honda motor it's a bad idea. Honda didn't see fit to put a harmonic dampener on it since it redlines at 6000. Bad news is that there's not going to be much difference between the stock crank pulley and an aftermarket.

I kept my stock Z1 pulley as reference. If you decide that a lightweight pulley isn't worth the cost you can PM me an offer for it.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote