D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 12 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2006, 01:05 PM   #111
Driving on E

Going to the junkyard in a few minutes to get the power steering bracket. I'll also pick up a new throttle cable from an EX in the junkyard because I can't find my freaking cable that I bought a few months ago.

Word to the wise... organize.

Oh, I bolted up the catalytic converter last night. Hopefully the downpipe will work or I'm going to need to get a custom piece made.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 01:47 PM   #112
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Word to the wise... organize.
yup. it will save you hours in the end.

Old 06-23-2006, 02:21 PM   #113
Registered Member

Quote:
Oh, I bolted up the catalytic converter last night. Hopefully the downpipe will work or I'm going to need to get a custom piece made.
Which B pipe do you have? If its the style with the undercar cat, you can use the stock cat or a test pipe, if its the style without it, it will bolt directly up. I believe all aftermarket catbacks will require the use of a test pipe.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #114
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
Which B pipe do you have? If its the style with the undercar cat, you can use the stock cat or a test pipe, if its the style without it, it will bolt directly up. I believe all aftermarket catbacks will require the use of a test pipe.
Not exactly sure what a B pipe is... here is my setup. I am using the 89 LX exhaust, but I'm hoping the cat and downpipe you sent me bolt right onto it. If not I will try to get the downpipe from a CRX HF or a STD to see if they fit. If that's a bust I'll just go to a muffler shop and have them make a custom piece.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #115
Registered Member

Honda exhaust systems (from the area of the rear x-member back) consist of 2 different sections, the front one is called the b pipe, and I suppose you could call the "axle back" part the c-pipe. Where is the stock cat on a 89 LX? Is it near the head or right under the rear x-member?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:32 PM   #116
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunger
Honda exhaust systems (from the area of the rear x-member back) consist of 2 different sections, the front one is called the b pipe, and I suppose you could call the "axle back" part the c-pipe. Where is the stock cat on a 89 LX? Is it near the head or right under the rear x-member?
It is near the rear x-member
Old 06-23-2006, 05:37 PM   #117
Registered Member

Quote:
It is near the rear x-member
Ok, then you'll either want dueling cats, replace the lower cat with a testpipe, or replace the b pipe with a standard civic hatchback b pipe (non dx/si). My stock HF exhaust had long been gone, and I just used a standard civic b pipe to replace it. I still have no axle back section, but the car is pretty quiet without it.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #118
Driving on E

OMG!

I spent all day trying to get the freaking A/C condenser back on... I overlooked the little pulley that drops so the belt can get on...

"finally," I thought, "i'll get the AC condenser and the power steering pump on and I'll almost be done."

Someone PLEASE shoot me

So after wrestling with the power steering pump for about an hour trying to get the belt on (BTW, the PS bracket doesn't fit correctly due to the crooked engine mount) I realized that one of my worst nightmares was about to come true.

The crank pulley on this engine, which is featured on the first page of this thread (the one with the rope going through it) is actually for a 92-95 civic. My power steering pump is from a 88-91 Civic. Honda, in their infinite wisdom, decided to change the style of belt used for the power steering pump between 91 and 92 models. This means that I'm going to have to remove my crank pulley (AGAIN!) and replace it with the crank pulley from my old engine.

Of course if you don't have power steering this isn't an issue.

I'm about ready to break something. It's one thing after another with this car... hopefully someone in the future will read this and know what mistakes NOT to make.

So, let's recap.

1. With this swap you can fit two of the four bolts for the power steering bracket into the engine. I'm sure that this will actually be enough. If the PS pump ever falls off I'm just going to ditch it.

2. If you have power steering and are putting an engine from a 92+ civic into your car, be certain to switch crank pulleys. you need the one from your year of car, unless you want to also swap power steering pumps.

3. Don't work in the sun. It sucks.

So now that I'm about to remove the crank pulley again, can anyone tell me an easy way to do it with the engine in the car? Can I just use a breaker bar and get it off? Please don't tell me to pull the engine out... I just might cry.
Old 06-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #119
*shrug*

Air gun. If you don't have the stuff, drive your *** to a shop and have them do it,

Who needs power steering anyway.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #120
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Air gun. If you don't have the stuff, drive your *** to a shop and have them do it,

Who needs power steering anyway.
This would be the perfect time to not have PS any more, but honestly the thought of going to the junkyard to get a new steering rack, etc... just seems like too much work.