D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 14 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2006, 05:36 AM   #131
Registered Member

A CX Tranny swap won't enable me to pick the kids up from day care after work without stopping at home to pick up the Outback first. This was a real PITA during school. I would like to have a HB before school starts again.

My Del Sol S is not much sought after so I won't get that much for it even with the low miles. I would be lucky to get 3500 for it.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 05:42 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by krousdb
A CX Tranny swap won't enable me to pick the kids up from day care after work without stopping at home to pick up the Outback first. This was a real PITA during school. I would like to have a HB before school starts again.

My Del Sol S is not much sought after so I won't get that much for it even with the low miles. I would be lucky to get 3500 for it.
Yeah, you might be able to get $4K for the Sol.

What generation hatchback are you looking to get? I got my 4th Gen for $950!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:11 AM   #133
Registered Member

Quote:

If you would of lived closer I can take it off your hands, but you live far.

It's in good condition?

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 06:39 AM   #134
Registered Member

Yes, good condition, no rust. One year old MAACO paint job from the previous owner. Not the best paint job but not bad unless you look close.

The kumho's on the 15" wheels will go with it. I am keeping the HX wheels with the Insight tires for my next car. I can have it shipped to you.

krousdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:43 AM   #135
Driving on E

Quote:
After following this saga, I think I don't think I will be doing an engine swap. Rather, I will just buy the engine that I want with the car already attached up all proper like.
In all honesty I'm having these issues because I'm putting a newer engine in my older car. If you were to do the same swap you'd probably have a very easy time.

Then again, swapping an engine won't give you back seats.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #136
*shrug*

Oh Matt, it's okay! Personally, I'm starting to think an engine swap as easier than just a tranny swap, no hard time getting to things and tiliting and aligning, just pop it in on the mounts and bling bling.

Anyway, good lucky matt, you're ridic.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:57 AM   #137
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Oh Matt, it's okay! Personally, I'm starting to think an engine swap as easier than just a tranny swap, no hard time getting to things and tiliting and aligning, just pop it in on the mounts and bling bling.

Anyway, good lucky matt, you're ridic.
I was actually telling my wife this last night. If we ever need to fix her clutch or replace the transmission, etc it is going to be easier to pull the engine.

I'm actually able to pull an engine in about 40 minutes time after the radiator and axles have been pulled. I don't even want to think about pulling a transmission when the engine is still in the car.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 AM   #138
Registered Member

Matt: You know when I suggested you just buy the hoist, I did not really intend for you to keep using it, so frequently. Did you get the crank pully swapped? On your crank bolt, I would think it might be the same size as the one of your old engine? You mentioned you could only get two bolts in on the power steering pump, it might be Ok, but my concern would be having a bolt bust the block, due to not enough bolt's. I would either use all 4 bolts or mount the pump, but don't put on the belt. Worst case, you can drive it without the pump, it is just a lot harder to turn, since the turn's ratio is much higher. Good Luck

On the sun, if you can find a way to swing it, you need to get one of those pop-up shade canopies, they help immensley
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #139
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Matt: You know when I suggested you just buy the hoist, I did not really intend for you to keep using it, so frequently. Did you get the crank pully swapped? On your crank bolt, I would think it might be the same size as the one of your old engine? You mentioned you could only get two bolts in on the power steering pump, it might be Ok, but my concern would be having a bolt bust the block, due to not enough bolt's. I would either use all 4 bolts or mount the pump, but don't put on the belt. Worst case, you can drive it without the pump, it is just a lot harder to turn, since the turn's ratio is much higher. Good Luck

On the sun, if you can find a way to swing it, you need to get one of those pop-up shade canopies, they help immensley
LOL

I'm actually thinking of getting a giant drill bit today to widen the holes a little bit on the power steering bracket. that should enable me to get the bolts in alright.

Or, i cna just hacksaw the top part (the part that connects to the engine mount a little so it will fit correctly.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:18 AM   #140
Registered Member

Drill the holes and if it's much bigger, just put a largee washer on it. 99% of the strength actually comes from the bracket being "squeazzed" between the bolt and the block, so you should be fine. It's similar to the "adjustment" slot's, you just will have a little more adjustment, but when you get it tightened down, it's same-same.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote