D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 17 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #161
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
BTW, is it possible for me to just buy the pieces and make my own hose with parts at PepBoys or Home Depot? I'm not opposed to that.
Matt: That line is a high pressure fuel line, for the injector's. The "stores" will tell you that you can't, it will leak, blah, blah, blah.

Baloney! You can cut off the crimped connector, rearrange or reorient the hose and put a worm screw clamp on it. I've put several on different cars and I haven't had them leak. The only thing to be mindful of is that it's preferable to have some barb thingies, I can't think of the right term, on the tubing, for the hoses to grip on, when you tighten down the hose clamps. If you want to be extra cautious, if you can get enough hose on the tube, use two clamps on each connection.

Good Luck!

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #162
Registered Member

I'm guessing you'll sell it all as a unit but if not I could really use the ECU (P07?) and wiring. I picked up a Z1 last week w/ side mount, intake box, and 4-wire O2 (California model? In North Carolina?) I still need the EGR box, a wiring conversion, and....eh it's all in my signature. Funny story about that engine...http://www.redpepperracing.com/forum...howtopic=26783

Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 AM   #163
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
I'm guessing you'll sell it all as a unit but if not I could really use the ECU (P07?) and wiring. I picked up a Z1 last week w/ side mount, intake box, and 4-wire O2 (California model? In North Carolina?) I still need the EGR box, a wiring conversion, and....eh it's all in my signature. Funny story about that engine...http://www.redpepperracing.com/forum...howtopic=26783

Mak
Heh... I post on redpepperracing sometimes too. My wife (jenny on this forum) has a 87 CRX Si and repepperracing is my best friend when it comes to that car.

Oh yeah, California VXs pop up everywhere, even north carolina.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #164
Registered Member

The Swap List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Heh... I post on redpepperracing sometimes too. My wife (jenny on this forum) has a 87 CRX Si and repepperracing is my best friend when it comes to that car.
Truer words never spoken...I've been helped by that site on my '85 CRX Si more than I can possibly remember. It is THE site for '84-87 Civic/CRX Hondas.

I have a request: I wanted to know what else I needed to gather before embarking on my own HF-Z1 quest. I have the engine (looks like all sensors, pan to the manifold complete, one side mount, stock intake box) and HF tranny (shift linkage, tranny, starter, HF flywheel). After rereading this thread a couple times, I've made a list for myself and anyone else who might want to follow you and Bunger:

1.) P07 ECU
2.) EGR box exculsive to the VX
3.) ECU conversion harness (I don't have the skills for that many wires yet)
4.) obd1 plugs for the distributor, VTEC, and VTEC oil pressure solenoid
5.) 5-wire O2 (mine came with a 4-wire, could possbily run the last one from the ECU?)
6.) driver's side mount from an obd1 car (got)
7.) 92-95 Civic HELMS Manual
8.) engine hoist
9.) anything else? (fuel lines different?)

My only other notes are I won't be running power steering (HF doesn't stock) or A/C (I can deal w/ windows down + tint). Keeping this list will cut prep time and especially install time if I have everything I need on day one of the swap. Thanks for any input, Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:57 AM   #165
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
Truer words never spoken...I've been helped by that site on my '85 CRX Si more than I can possibly remember. It is THE site for '84-87 Civic/CRX Hondas.

I have a request: I wanted to know what else I needed to gather before embarking on my own HF-Z1 quest. I have the engine (looks like all sensors, pan to the manifold complete, one side mount, stock intake box) and HF tranny (shift linkage, tranny, starter, HF flywheel). After rereading this thread a couple times, I've made a list for myself and anyone else who might want to follow you and Bunger:

1.) P07 ECU
2.) EGR box exculsive to the VX
3.) ECU conversion harness (I don't have the skills for that many wires yet)
4.) obd1 plugs for the distributor, VTEC, and VTEC oil pressure solenoid
5.) 5-wire O2 (mine came with a 4-wire, could possbily run the last one from the ECU?)
6.) driver's side mount from an obd1 car (got)
7.) 92-95 Civic HELMS Manual
8.) engine hoist
9.) anything else? (fuel lines different?)

My only other notes are I won't be running power steering (HF doesn't stock) or A/C (I can deal w/ windows down + tint). Keeping this list will cut prep time and especially install time if I have everything I need on day one of the swap. Thanks for any input, Mak
I'll make a list for you later this afternoon. Don't buy anything yet
Old 06-28-2006, 11:08 AM   #166

Do you have two fuel lines? If so, cut them in half and use the two ends you want - splice them together with a piece of metal and two hose clamps. Not clean, but it works! I've had to do this before...I think I used a leftover piece of metal from the hard coolant line that also has the hard air line that goes from the intake tube to the valve cover.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #167
Driving on E

Just got back from the junkyard. The fuel line from the 89 CRX HF works perfectly. Mak, I'll respond to you after dinner.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:47 PM   #168
Driving on E

No dice.

I installed the axles and then took the one bolt off holding the VSS in place so that I could fill the transmission with fluid.

The bolt came off, the little metal thing came off, and the VSS wouldn't budge.

Turns out I was supposed to remove it BEFORE I put the engine in.

So I tried to remove the fill hole, but it seems that after 160k miles that bolt doesn't want to move either. I sprayed it with PB Blaster and tomorrow will try to use the vice grips on it. Hopefully either hte VSS or the fill hole will budge and I'll be able to fill er up.

That being said, where do I get one of those cool caps with the clear vinyl tube coming out so that I can fill my transmission up?
Old 06-28-2006, 07:49 PM   #169
*shrug*

Get the cap at autozone, that or the cone with the flexible hose and on/off valve.

You could shove some in the axle holes,
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 AM   #170

I would recommend filling at the VSS...MUCH easier. Remove the VSS bolt, then get some small channel locks and GENTLY grab the VSS at the base and twist. It should break loose.

You'll also want to remove the fill hole bolt so you know when it's full (oil coming out). Be sure and fill on level ground with the car on the ground.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote