D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2006, 08:53 PM   #11
Supporting Member

Sorry, uhHH Matt (Tim)mion

Sorry about that. One more ?: Did you do any work on your hf tranny b4 mounting it up? How do you judge whether it needs anything done, before mounting it up and hoping for the best?

budomove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
Driving on E

Re: Sorry, uhHH Matt (Tim)mion

Quote:
Originally Posted by budomove
Tim, The swap looks awesome. I found an hf tranny in NM and I am in NJ. Where did your hf tranny ship from, and what type of shipping was it? I am trying to decide on the cheapest method of shipping it.
I think it was shipped from somewhere in the midwest. I can't remember any more where it was shipped from. They shipped via UPS. There might better ways to ship, including Greyhound or even DHL. I'm sure the prices are all relatively close though.

You might want to talk to SVOBoy about helping you find a local HF tranny. He seems to be able to locate stuff pretty easily. He's in NJ as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by budomove
Sorry about that. One more ?: Did you do any work on your hf tranny b4 mounting it up? How do you judge whether it needs anything done, before mounting it up and hoping for the best?
I didn't do any work on the internals. The tranny has 160k on it, and the seller swears up and down it has no issues. I figure for the price I can always go to the junkyard and find another HF tranny if this one is bad.

DaX is actually rebuilding a HF transmission right now. It's a very intensive process and probably not something I'm ever going to do. I did, however, put a new throwout bearing on it.

I think most of the transmission questions should be directed towards DaX.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 09:29 PM   #13
*shrug*

Quote:You might want to talk

Quote:
You might want to talk to SVOBoy about helping you find a local HF tranny. He seems to be able to locate stuff pretty easily. He's in NJ as well.
Everyone loves me. We've talked, I haven't seen one yet though.

Gotta pick up dan's **** (and mine) this weekend, but he's busy with the tour del sol and all that, so he won't get to bug me about it.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 04:00 AM   #14

Re: Sorry, uhHH Matt (Tim)mion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
DaX is actually rebuilding a HF transmission right now.
I'm actually through! I'm just waiting for the time to put the tranny in and do the 5-speed conversion. Time is hard to find when planning a wedding, going to school, and trying to put a contract on a house!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 PM   #15
*shrug*

Quote:I'm actually through!

Quote:
I'm actually through! I'm just waiting for the time to put the tranny in and do the 5-speed conversion. Time is hard to find when planning a wedding, going to school, and trying to put a contract on a house!

Cut sex out of your routine for a weekend, swap done.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #16
Registered Member

Re: nippon motors.

That's a sweet looking motor. So what all do they throw in? I know it needs an EGR set at least, and I've heard the Japanese imports are rather crudely hacked apart.

I've wondered if I could trade my d16z6 straight up for a d15z1 (w. tranny, as that's half the battle). It's not exactly a B block, but it's probably worth it to somebody.

BTW, those crank bolts are totally insane. I made an inside hex socket by grinding down some sort of tractor drive adaptor, then welding it (via 2 batteries in series... do not try at home) to a steel bar. But your pulley doesn't even have the inside hex? Honda should just forge the crank and drive pulley together and get it over with.
GasSavers_Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #17
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I've wondered if I could trade my d16z6 straight up for a d15z1 (w. tranny, as that's half the battle). It's not exactly a B block, but it's probably worth it to somebody.
You can probably sell your entire z6 swap (with tranny, ECU, etc.) for around $800. You can get a good z1 swap (ECU, tranny, etc.) for less than that.

My engine was $550 shipped to my door. ECU was $30. You can probably get the tranny for next to nothing (people just throw these things away). You can get a EGR control box for around $20 on honda-tech.

I've actually seen entire Z1 swaps go for $200 on honda-tech before.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I've wondered if I could trade my d16z6 straight up for a d15z1
You can probably sell your entire z6 swap (with tranny, ECU, etc.) for around $800.
or just sell it to me. or doit the svoboy way and GIVE it to me :P

Need this stuff gone!
https://www.honda-tech.com/zero...67053[/B]
GasSavers_Diemaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:24 AM   #19
*shrug*

Quote:I've actually seen

Quote:
I've actually seen entire Z1 swaps go for $200 on honda-tech before.
Indeed, I know one guy who bought his for 100, getting another for free from another guy I know.

I refuse to pay more than 100 for the engine, just waiting for one local.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:51 AM   #20

Re: Quote:I'm actually through!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
Cut sex out of your routine for a weekend, swap done.
I'd need to cut sex, talking with my real estate agent, shopping for wedding supplies, and figuring out how to start repaying school loans back out of THIS weekend to make time. Maybe next weekend.

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote