D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 21 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2006, 08:54 AM   #201
Registered Member

Ah well, enough questions and we'll get their, I guess. Good Luck

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:55 AM   #202
Driving on E

see post above

Quote:
Unless my transmission is actually in gear, which it probably is. I havn't hooked up the shift linkage yet. If the clutch cable isn't engaging the clutch then it is not going to really be able to start because it isn't in nuetral.

So add getting the shift linkage put back together to the list.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 08:57 AM   #203
*shrug*

You can hop under the car and put it in neutral manually.

Just stick a screwdriver through the hole and move it in betwixt in the 3 positions.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 AM   #204
Registered Member

Matt: My problem wasn't that I didn't understand your note. From what you described, unless you have the front on the ground, worst case, the wheels would just turn. If it was hung up because of being in gear, you'd just hear a big "thunk" sound, when you tried to start it, and the engine would not turn over, at all.
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 09:11 AM   #205
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Palmer
Matt: My problem wasn't that I didn't understand your note. From what you described, unless you have the front on the ground, worst case, the wheels would just turn. If it was hung up because of being in gear, you'd just hear a big "thunk" sound, when you tried to start it, and the engine would not turn over, at all.
Very true. Communication issue could very well be on my part. I seem to be making up terms as I go along and finding out that the terms already have another meaning
Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #206
Driving on E

Okay...

Car is in nuetral. clutch cable is tightened properly. It is no longer dripping transmission fluid, which means it either mananged to drip all 1.9 quarts in about 12 hours or it was just overfilled and was expelling the extra. Maybe I'll remove the reverse light switch and put a dipstick in there to check if there is any fluid.

THe engine cranks. I marked the power steering belt and it definately moved. Now I have to check for spark. I tried putting a spark plug on the end of a spark plug wire and tried cranking it. I saw no spark, but then again it could be that the brightness of the sun prevented me from seeing it.

Is there an easy way to check for spark? Say, with a multimeter?

The rotor is on the distributor, but if it's giving me problems I'll just swap with the spare distributor I have in the garage.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #207

The distributor can only go on one way.

I was talking about mechanical timing, not electrical. The car will run with very poor electrical timing, but if your mechanical timing is off even a little (ie - timing belt off a tooth or more), you're car likely won't run. I've been able to drive a Civic with the timing belt off one tooth, but not one with the timing belt off two teeth.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #208
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
The distributor can only go on one way
Huh? I asked if there is another way to check for spark, not if the distributor is put on improperly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I was talking about mechanical timing, not electrical. The car will run with very poor electrical timing, but if your mechanical timing is off even a little (ie - timing belt off a tooth or more), you're car likely won't run. I've been able to drive a Civic with the timing belt off one tooth, but not one with the timing belt off two teeth.
Of course this is something I should have done when the engine was out. When I replaced the timing belt I left everything as it was. Nothing moved. I can assume that nothing was messed up.

I'll ensure that I have spark first before I worry about mechanical timing, which sound like a PITA.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:29 AM   #209

Were you grounding the plug when you had it in the end of the wire? It needs to be grounded - I touch the plug to a valve cover bolt. You may need to wait for dark to see the spark, but you shouldn't...I've seen it in daylight.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #210
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
Were you grounding the plug when you had it in the end of the wire? It needs to be grounded - I touch the plug to a valve cover bolt. You may need to wait for dark to see the spark, but you shouldn't...I've seen it in daylight.
Word. I'll do this when it's no so freaking hot outside.