D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 28 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #271
Registered Member

finally got pics of my Z1 mount:

This was the mount that came with the engine, I took a grinder to both sides to make it fit into the chassis mount holder, I haven't test fitted the engine since I modded the mount then Matt asked if I'd post pics. I actually have an OBD-0 mount but I can't pry the crank pulley bolt off the Z1, period.

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #272
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
finally got pics of my Z1 mount:
This was the mount that came with the engine, I took a grinder to both sides to make it fit into the chassis mount holder, I haven't test fitted the engine since I modded the mount then Matt asked if I'd post pics. I actually have an OBD-0 mount but I can't pry the crank pulley bolt off the Z1, period.
It still probably won't fit. I tried to do the same thing on mine. I took a hacksaw to the mount and made it thinner, but it was still like 2 inches off the mark when I was putting the engine in.

Here's how i got the crank pulley bolt off:

See page one. While you havethe engine out, it wouldn't hurt to put a new timing belt and water pump on anyway. You'll thank yourself in 30,000 miles.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:57 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
It still probably won't fit. I tried to do the same thing on mine. I took a hacksaw to the mount and made it thinner, but it was still like 2 inches off the mark when I was putting the engine in.

Here's how i got the crank pulley bolt off:

See page one. While you havethe engine out, it wouldn't hurt to put a new timing belt and water pump on anyway. You'll thank yourself in 30,000 miles.

The 2x4 method is teh win!
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #274
Registered Member

Matt,
I had a few questions regarding the d15z1 swap. I am basically doing th same thing, only i am also converting to manual (i have that covered thanks to DAX's DIY).

1. As far as the throttle cable is concerened. You mentioned that you used an EX cable. Did the original one not work(the one already in the car). If not why not?

2. What did you do with the exhaust system. Did all of the existing pipes work. I have everything stock. Did you use the Header and downpipe from the new D15z1 or did you use the stock header and downpipe? Hows your setup. By the way i only have 1 cat (Stock cat).

3. Did you leave the Power Steering on the engine using only 2 of the 4 bolts? Or what did you do?

4. I remembered you had trouble with the power steering because the belt patterns did not match. What if i change the power steering pumps pulley to a 92-95 civic pulley? Then i would only have to buy a new belt, rather than going through the trouble of removing the crank pulley right? Whats your insight on this subject?

5. On your fuel line, you said that the line form a hf worked. Would cutting the fuel line, like the other mentioned, have worked?

6. For the mount on the drivers side, would it be a lot better to use the stock 88 mount? in terms of fitment and stability?

7. With respect to the EGR valve, you said i would need an EGR control box? Im new to this, what exactly do i need to make the EGR work Correctly? What did you do?

For the Million Dollar Question:
What is your MPG now?

Thank you in advance. I think ive got everything, i just need to clear up some stuff.
8Civic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 10:36 PM   #275
Driving on E

[QUOTE=8Civic8]1. As far as the throttle cable is concerened. You mentioned that you used an EX cable. Did the original one not work(the one already in the car). If not why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Civic8
2. What did you do with the exhaust system. Did all of the existing pipes work. I have everything stock. Did you use the Header and downpipe from the new D15z1 or did you use the stock header and downpipe? Hows your setup. By the way i only have 1 cat (Stock cat).
I have the header and downpipe from the d15z1 attached to the b-pipe and cat from the stock car. Now I have two cats, but I'm okay with that. If it bothers either can be hollowed out, or the second pipe can be replaced with a test pipe.

Quote:
3. Did you leave the Power Steering on the engine using only 2 of the 4 bolts? Or what did you do?
It's actually only using one of the four bolts. I need to remove the bracket and widen another of the holes to enable the bolt fitting.

Quote:
4. I remembered you had trouble with the power steering because the belt patterns did not match. What if i change the power steering pumps pulley to a 92-95 civic pulley? Then i would only have to buy a new belt, rather than going through the trouble of removing the crank pulley right? Whats your insight on this subject?
I'm unsure if the pulleys will be swappable or not. You might want to try to just get a PS pump from a 92-95 and put it on your existing system. I"d also recommend that you DO remove the crank pulley so that you can replace the timing belt and water pump. When the engine is out is the best time to replace these parts.

Quote:
5. On your fuel line, you said that the line form a hf worked. Would cutting the fuel line, like the other mentioned, have worked?
I'd recommend not cutting fuel lines. I might be able to find a fuel line from a HF if you're interested. There is one in the junkyard I frequent.

Quote:
6. For the mount on the drivers side, would it be a lot better to use the stock 88 mount? in terms of fitment and stability?
Yes. You need to remove the crank pulley and the plastic cover. Then you'll unbolt the mount from the block (two giant bolts) and bolt the entire mount from the 88 onto the d15z1. It will sit a little crooked, but will work without a problem.

Quote:
7. With respect to the EGR valve, you said i would need an EGR control box? Im new to this, what exactly do i need to make the EGR work Correctly? What did you do?
I bought an EGR control box from a guy on Honda-Tech for $20.

Quote:
For the Million Dollar Question:
What is your MPG now?
no idea. I've been trouble shooting electrical problems for a while now, and I've been out of town for a week. I may have a few gremlins to track down before I can report concrete MPG numbers.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:22 PM   #276
Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. You have no idea how much i appreciate it. But i think you forgot to mention if you used the stock civic throttle cable?

Hmm, I wonder if the old exhaust system will fit because i dont think my engine will include the down pipe. I also have a stock header system off a 93 del sol si, which should be the same for a stock d15 on a del sol. I guess i'll have to wait and see if either fits.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #277
Driving on E

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. You have no idea how much i appreciate it. But i think you forgot to mention if you used the stock civic throttle cable?

Hmm, I wonder if the old exhaust system will fit because i dont think my engine will include the down pipe. I also have a stock header system off a 93 del sol si, which should be the same for a stock d15 on a del sol. I guess i'll have to wait and see if either fits.
Throttle cable. Your current one will fit. It will be about 2 feet too long, but it will work. If you want a shorter throttle cable, look for one from a CRX HF, a CRX Si, or a Civic Si.

I would strongly suggest against using anything but the intended exhaust system on this engine. The exhaust header is unique to honda's gas mileage vehicles. The o2 sensor is placed in a certain place for a reason. Moving it 8 inches or so down the pipe will give your ECU false readings, which might cause ECU codes to occur, or bad gas mileage.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:35 PM   #278
Registered Member

Matt,
Thanks for the info.

I have been looking for the EGR control box for the engine but i cant post on hondatech's market place, when i try to post a Want to buy post i get a message "You do not have permission to participate in this forum." Would you happen to know why i get that message.

Also, if anyone reading this post knows where i can get an Egr Control Box for the d15z1 (civic VX). Not the egr unit, its a control box, Matt has a picture of it on an earlier post.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #279
Driving on E

Quote:
Matt,
Thanks for the info.

I have been looking for the EGR control box for the engine but i cant post on hondatech's market place, when i try to post a Want to buy post i get a message "You do not have permission to participate in this forum." Would you happen to know why i get that message.

Also, if anyone reading this post knows where i can get an Egr Control Box for the d15z1 (civic VX). Not the egr unit, its a control box, Matt has a picture of it on an earlier post.
Honda Tech requires you to be a member for a certain number of days before you can post in the classifieds section. I'm uncertain how many days that is, but it's just the name of the game.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:43 PM   #280
Registered Member

So i got the egr control box for $15. Where did you hook up the egr valve and egr control box? What number wire in the ecu does it belong to?