D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 29 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 AM   #281
Driving on E

Just put in an order for a new oxygen sensor from www.oxygensensor.net.

I feel kind of weight dropping $180 on a car that I'm going to sell soon, but I'm almost positive the low MPG is due to the used oxygen sensor on this car. The guy who sold it to me said it had 160k miles on it. I'm pretty certain with the new o2 sensor I can get the MPG up to 45mpg easily, which will make this car that much easier to sell.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:15 PM   #282
Registered Member

Whats the difference between the California and the non-California VX?

I am from california and i bought an ecu thats not from california. Im guessing that theres also a difference inside of the ecu if its a california model but i have no idea what it is. Does anyone know what it is?

How would i know that the ECU is not from California or that it is?

8Civic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #283
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Civic8
Whats the difference between the California and the non-California VX?

I am from california and i bought an ecu thats not from california. Im guessing that theres also a difference inside of the ecu if its a california model but i have no idea what it is. Does anyone know what it is?

How would i know that the ECU is not from California or that it is?
DOn't know how to tell the difference, but I can tell you the difference in operation.

The CA model used a 4-wire o2 sensor and doesn't have lean burn at highway speeds. The non-CA model used a wideband o2 sensor (5 wires) and has lean burn.

Check www.fueleconomy.gov and notice the different EPA estimates for the two models.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:19 AM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
DOn't know how to tell the difference, but I can tell you the difference in operation.

The CA model used a 4-wire o2 sensor and doesn't have lean burn at highway speeds. The non-CA model used a wideband o2 sensor (5 wires) and has lean burn.

Check www.fueleconomy.gov and notice the different EPA estimates for the two models.
If the CA model does not use a wideband and only uses a narrowband, then you can tell the difference in ECU's by opening them up and looking to see if it has two processor chips. If there are two processor chips, then you have the lean burn ECU that works with the wideband (5-wire).
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 09:19 PM   #285
Registered Member

How do the processors look. I opened my ecu up my ecu and it looks just like the following P28, its identical same chips and everything (Except that it doesnt have that programmed chip in the lower right hand corner, im guessing thats what you burn and solder on the ecu)

(NOTE: I Know nothing about ecu's other than ive got one that is a #####-P07-L02)

Ive read somewhere, i think rywire.com, that the L means california? Doest the fact that i have one that looks just like a p28 and has an L02 mean that i have a 4 wire o2 sensor? ( i need to buy an o2 sensor and i wanna make sure)

Edit:

K, heres a picture of my own ecu, i just took it appart and took a pick of it. (dont mind the date this was a few minutes ago). What do you guys think, its almost identical to the one above.
8Civic8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 10:14 PM   #286
Driving on E

I think the best bet is probably to email Ryan at rywire. He can most certainly tell you if your ECU is a CA model or not based on your ECU code.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:31 PM   #287
Registered Member

Quote:
After wasting all day on this, I am finishing up and I notice my cylinder cover bolt keeps spinning.

Yep. You guessed it. Busted.]

Can anyone recommend what to do about this hole? I would use epoxy or something (as I have the piece that broke off as well) but I'm afraid it will fall off again and screw with my rocker arms.
I had a similar issue. I had a valve vover bolt break off in my head (cylinder head of course ) I just used silicone and the broke bolt as a plug and I didn't get any valve cover leaks. Good work. I just spent 45 minutes reading this thread......
kwtorbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:56 AM   #288
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
8Civic8, check your ECU label HERE. That is all the info to tell what ECU you have and emissions type and everything.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:17 PM   #289

I'm almost done swaping my VX into my 88 hatch. I even bought the vx wheels. I'll start a thread when I'm done.
78si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #290
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78si View Post
I'm almost done swaping my VX into my 88 hatch. I even bought the vx wheels. I'll start a thread when I'm done.
Same here, but in my '89 CRX HF, and I've only got steelies for now. I just hope you didn't take as long as I did to complete the swap (It will be 2 years in mid-Oct., but that counts the whole tear-down and rebuild, and technically the swap has been all done since April, she fires alright, purrs and screams proper). I dunno about a thread, I've got to much crap going on to even update my gas log, much less pictures and details. Looking forward to yours though...maybe one day I'll get mine done...Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote