D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 4 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #31
Registered Member

I want hardcore details on the installation/wiring prep....I'll need all the obd0-obd1 info I can get once I dig in my build. Good Luck! Mak

MakDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:39 AM   #32
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakDiesel
I want hardcore details on the installation/wiring prep....I'll need all the obd0-obd1 info I can get once I dig in my build. Good Luck! Mak
I'll give you as much as possible. I started making my own harness a while ago for obd0->obd1, but I decided it was going to be easier to buy one pre-made from www.rywire.com. It cost $130 and has instructions that come with it.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
I'll give you as much as possible. I started making my own harness a while ago for obd0->obd1, but I decided it was going to be easier to buy one pre-made from www.rywire.com. It cost $130 and has instructions that come with it.
$130 for plug-and-play? Will this harness have the 5-wire o2 plug, VTEC, and still have the white OBD-0 plugs for the shock tower connections? If so that is an EXCELLENT deal.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:19 AM   #34
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
$130 for plug-and-play? Will this harness have the 5-wire o2 plug, VTEC, and still have the white OBD-0 plugs for the shock tower connections? If so that is an EXCELLENT deal.
$130 for the conversion harness. My engine came with all of the needed plugs (except for one, which I found in the junkyard).

If you want them to convert an existing harness to work for you, that's an extra $300.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #35
Registered Member

Matt: Just a note and a question. I've pulled and installed several Honda engine's with just my 2 1/2 ton floor jack. I've uses an engine hoist previously and from my standpoint, in terms of space and ease, I was able to do it without the hoist, almost as easy as with. However, if you have room and your going to use a hoist, I would suggest a purchase over renting. Every time I have rented I end up having issues where something doesn't go right and I end up paying more for the rental and I still don't have anything when I'm done.

On a different note, I can't figure out how to change my user name to something more "meaningful" instead of pseudo-random, like I have it now. I'm sure their is a way, just don't know what it is.

Thanks, Gary, a "lurker"?
Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 12:40 PM   #36
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Monday
  • Get lower ball joint buller and punch for the b-pin from autozone.
  • Rent hoist from autozone
  • Drive n600 to the autoshop and get safety inspection
  • Drive civic to DMV and get new title/registration on n600
  • Go to Junkyard and maybe get SVOBoy rear tranny mount - look for anything worthwhile when I am there.
  • Get new sprinkler heads at Home Depot
  • Go home - remove b-pin and axle bolts - maybe remove axles
  • Put new springler heads in the backyard.
  • Go to family event
I purchased a set of punches today at home depot. HOpefully one will work.

I purchased a hoist from pep boys ($120, good price).

no time for junkyard today.

Purchased sprinkler heads - might have time to install them later.

No time for starting the swap today as I'm dealing with emissions problems on the n600. I have to drive about 10 miles now (the farthest it's ever been driven) in order to get it inspected. Let's hope the engine doesn't blow up.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #37
Driving on E

Just removed the b-pin. The punches I purchased didn't work correctly, so I had to use a combination of a drill and a 10mm bolt (head is 10mm, thread is 6mm) from a bunch of spare bolts I had.

I'm going to autozone now to get a hydrolic jack. As much as I love using the hand jack to move the car up and down, I prefer not to do it.

Next: Axles, drain fluids, remove radiator, remove battery, unbolt power steering and A/C. Assemble the engine hoist and then pull that sucker out.

Pictures soon.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM   #38
*shrug*

Must take pictures of mine tonight, can't have you beating me on that front.

Anyway, good luck, everything is cake, to be honest, just the idea is scary. I'm sure trannies will be cake for us folks once we tear into a few.

Good luck again though, I'm glad you're getting it done, if my mom asks what I want for graduation I think I know what I'll tell her...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #39
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy

Good luck again though, I'm glad you're getting it done, if my mom asks what I want for graduation I think I know what I'll tell her...
Car parts or some kind of jack or maybe engine hoist???

My dad bought me a 3 ton floor jack, and 3 ton jack stands. He also got me a oil pan that you dump oil. We rarely work on his car or my mom's car but we always work on my car. If it wasn't for my POS car I would of never had that stuff. If your parents get you **** just get some american pos car that keeps breaking stuff and in a year or two your garage will be full of tools.

Compaq888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:25 PM   #40
Registered Member

Matt: If you haven't already got a jack, you might try getting a heavy duty floor jack at Costco. They are substantially more stable and you can lift anything you are likely to encounter, unless you get a fork lift, like Metro did. I have a couple of heavy jack stands, but most of the time I use the smaller one's because the Honda is already so low to the ground.

In any case, good luck with the exchange.

Gary Palmer is offline   Reply With Quote