D15Z1 Engine swap project log - Page 5 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #41
*shrug*

I have plenty of regular tools, I just need more wrenches and air tools, really, so yeah, I'm fine there.

I'm talking about the d15z1! After graduation I'll prolly slap the d15b8 head on though,

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:37 PM   #42
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compaq888
Car parts or some kind of jack or maybe engine hoist???

My dad bought me a 3 ton floor jack, and 3 ton jack stands. He also got me a oil pan that you dump oil. We rarely work on his car or my mom's car but we always work on my car. If it wasn't for my POS car I would of never had that stuff. If your parents get you **** just get some american pos car that keeps breaking stuff and in a year or two your garage will be full of tools.
seriously, please read the rules of posting on the forum.

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #43
*shrug*

How's the swap coming, I just asked you, now it's your turn to reply, m8. I'll be anxiously waiting for a few minutes while I cook my dinner,

I can't wait to see some numbers.

What injectors will you be using? VX I assume.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:47 PM   #44
Driving on E

Day 1... sorta...

Started out by removing the impossible pin, as well as the axles. To get the axle nuts off I had to have someone push on the brakes. Since I was working solo, I had my lovely assistant help me.

AFter this I was able to remove the axles rather easily. I was surpirsed how easy it really is. I did notice a torn boot while I was down there, so it's good that I'm taking everything apart.

Here is the first axle:

And the second:

Oh yeah, it helps to drain the transmission fluid before you remove the axles *hits head*

Anyway, next step was to remove the hood:

And a close up of the Dual Point Fuel Injection which will soon be gone:

I removed a bunch of stuff today: exhaust header, battery, intake box, hoses, etc. I drained the coolant and the oil. I also removed the power steering pump thing.

The clouds started rolling in and I felt sprinkles. Fearing rain I packed up for the day:

I then took an hour (or was it two?) to assemble the engine hoist for tomorrow. I had lots of issues and currently my vice grips are stuck inside of the crane. It's a mess, but it's almost ready.

Just curious, what should I get to pull the engine out of the bay? Is there a chain set made specifically for this? I'd prefer to not use rope.

Also, how in the world do I remove the A/C condenser? Anyone?
Old 06-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #45
*shrug*

You should get a chain, autozone loans them, I do believe.

Anyway, I believe the condenser should just bolt to the car and then the lines snap in/out. I did a few lines at work and assisted with a condesner and it was all just bolts and snapping things together, *shrug*
Old 06-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #46
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy
You should get a chain, autozone loans them, I do believe.

Anyway, I believe the condenser should just bolt to the car and then the lines snap in/out. I did a few lines at work and assisted with a condesner and it was all just bolts and snapping things together, *shrug*
"just bolts on"... yeah, where exactly? I can see where the bracket bolts on, but I can't remove the bracket. As for hte lines, I'd like to leave them in place and not screw when them. Maybe I can check the helms (if I can find it tonight) and it'll show me.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #47
*shrug*

Ah, well I dunno where, that would seem like the easy part to me, I've never cared to look, mehbe you need to pull the front end off,

Anyway, if you find your way to the junkyard, look me up a mount?
Old 06-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #48

Why are you trying to remove the condenser? Are you taking AC out of the car completely? Or are you talking about the AC compressor?

I use an engine balancer (about $30) in conjunction with the hoist to pull the engine. It's pretty much a lead screw and a place to attach two chains (come with the balancer). I usually put one chain on the head where the PS pump bolts on and one where the starter bolts on. I remove both the starter and the PS pump bracket first. I like the balancer because you need to tilt the motor up to pull it out from the top. This is NOT how they do it at the factory or the dealership...there engines come and go from the bottom, but I don't have a lift yet.

You can kind of see a balancer on the end of the hoist in THIS picture.
GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #49
|V3|2D

Send a message via AIM to thisisntjared
yea dax is giving you the correct setup to use. ive done a helped a little with a swap with old seat belts.

thats also what the local junkyards use to pull motors.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #50
Registered Member

Nice work, Matt. I love your assistant. (I usually wedge a snow brush between the seat and the pedal when I do that.)

When I look at (and write) these DIY threads, I sometimes get the impression that everybody here is nuts. The things we do for MPG.

Good luck!

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote