DaX's N600 Restoration - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 09-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
BTW... wanna send me a few parts I need? Pretty please?
I'm already unloading a fuel door to the person on the list that has been after one for like 3 months, haha. What parts are you in need of?

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 12:47 PM   #12
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I'm already unloading a fuel door to the person on the list that has been after one for like 3 months, haha. What parts are you in need of?
I'm looking for some of the little screws that hold the knobs on (like two of them) as well as the little L-shaped metal brackets that hold the top of the bumper to the car (where the car attaches to the bumper overriders).

Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:17 AM   #13

I went and dropped $150 at the paint store yesterday -

*Lightweight Filler
*Etch Primer
*Roll of 80 grit 6" discs for stripping
*DA sander

Running total: $1575.81

I have nearly all of my turbo Civic parts listed for sale to generate some more revenue. Matt - I may need to get that guy's contact info from you that has the NOS fenders.

I'm DYING to get started, but I can't yet. The car is at my dad's house, and I'm waiting for my house to finish being built (should be about 1-2 weeks). After it's built, the cars get moved to my house and I can work on them every day!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:32 AM   #14

So I've sold nearly all my turbo Civic stuff. With the money I'm buying a set of NOS fenders for my N600 (all three cars either have very rusty fenders or very beat up fenders or both) and a very nice air compressor.

I have started disassembling the front end on two of the 600's, as can be seen below:

The green one is the one I'll be restoring. As you can see, the yellow one has serious rust damage throughout, but miraculously, it had the best bumper and grille on it.

I have bought a new set of Kumho Power Star 758's (145-80-R10), picked out my four best wheels of the fourteen that I have, had the rotten tires dismounted, and am having them sandblasted today.

I have taken a wire brush wheel on a drill motor to the front valance on the green car and brushed out all the rust pits, then primed over with etch primer. The sheet metal is so thin, I was able to bend some of it back into place by hand. I'm going to borrow my uncle's body tools though to properly work out dents and dings.

Anyhow, I'll update again once the wheels are painted and tires are mounted.

PS, Matt - you have a PM from me regarding wheel paint.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:41 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to tomauto Send a message via MSN to tomauto Send a message via Yahoo to tomauto
Soo cool. this is one thing that people will stay around the site to watch! Keep up the good work!
Beater: 1988 Honda Civic DX Hatback - Stripped - 30mpg

RIP: 1996 Honda Civic LX 42mpg - you will be missed

https://tomauto.smugmug.com/Cars
tomauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:01 AM   #16
Registered Member

Hi DaX

If you have a air compressor get a sandblaster for it.

It is better and cheaper than sanding discs and wire wheels in the long run.
It also makes cleaning up suspension arms etc a snap.

Just be carefull about blasting large flat pannels (roff -bonnet etc) as the heat can change the metals shape, and or pit it badly..

Also dont be tempted to use sea sand , the salts will increase the chance of rust again , and I believe it also has a high silicon content which is quite poisonous.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:05 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegammyleg
Hi DaX

If you have a air compressor get a sandblaster for it.

It is better and cheaper than sanding discs and wire wheels in the long run.
It also makes cleaning up suspension arms etc a snap.

Just be carefull about blasting large flat pannels (roff -bonnet etc) as the heat can change the metals shape, and or pit it badly..

Also dont be tempted to use sea sand , the salts will increase the chance of rust again , and I believe it also has a high silicon content which is quite poisonous.

While I did think about sandblasting the whole car, containing the media (or the lack of the ability to) is what made me change my mind and go with a sander. Not only am I concerned with getting sand all in my car parts, my wife would have a fit if there was sand everywhere. She's already going to have a fit when she sees how much dust that sanding generates.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 AM   #18
Registered Member

I have found when thinking about doing a whole car its better , and a lot faster to send it out and get it bead blasted insread.

Bead blasting is done with small balls of plastic (or other things) and is gentler on the metal.. and is less messy to clean up to prep for paint.

It doesnt get everywhere like sand does., so painting inside frame rails is easier.
You dont need to clean them out b4 hand.
onegammyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:32 AM   #19
Registered Member

I hate rust.

Looks like you have a lot of work ahead of you.

Good luck with it.
LincolnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
Registered Member

Looking good. Cool little car. Hope to see lots of pictures and updates in the furture.

UfoTofU is offline   Reply With Quote