DaX's N600 Restoration - Page 6 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 AM   #51

Got the rest of my supplies for lens making...going to at least try making a mold of the brake lens this weekend!

GasSavers_DaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #52
Registered Member

Going to document it? Take pics anyway.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 04:21 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG
Going to document it? Take pics anyway.
I'll put up some pictures tonight. I have the brake lens clay'd up and ready to pour the first half of the mold. I need to go pick up some mix cups and some small paint brushes first though.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #54

Here are some pictures of the wheels I painted a few weeks ago...and the one wheel that didn't make it through sandblasting.

Outside of wheels

Inside of wheels

Wheel didn't make it. Hole by the valve stem hole.

Another shot of the wheel that didn't make it.

New tires...yum.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #55
Registered Member

(DaX's N600 Restoration)
First off I'd like to thank Matt for re-lighting the fire under my *** and getting me re-interested in owning a Honda N600.

This thread will document the restoration of a Honda N600.

DaX, I just found this thread on GS. Reminds me of one day in 1971-1972 when two friends showed up at my house with a new yellow n600. They drove it on the sidewalk at the side of my house. I have remembered this many times and had the itch to have one of these cars. I have restored various cars thru the years and presently own 9.

I was going to say good luck with your restoration but your enthusiasm means more than any luck. Keep it up. Now I will go look at the rest of your pics. CO ZX2
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 AM   #56
Registered Member

DaX, anything new with this project? New pics? I was also interested in your lens reproduction. Happy New Year
CO ZX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:17 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ZX2
DaX, anything new with this project? New pics? I was also interested in your lens reproduction. Happy New Year
With the holidays and all, I haven't had time to actually work on the car much this past month. I have done a lot of thinking though...

The roof skin damage has put a large damper on the direction I was headed with the project. Initially, I wanted to strip the car and get all the body work done first. Now that there is more than minor dings and dents to fix (which I can handle), I need to get the professional opinion of some of my friends as to whether or not they think it's repairable with body tools or if I need to actually replace the skin. If I need to replace the skin (or part of it), it's going to have to wait at least 16 months, which is the earliest I'll be able to afford the welder I've had my eye on for some time. While waiting to get advice, I plan to continue to disassemble the car. In this time I will probably focus on restoring some of the small mechanical details on the car - having brake cylinders rebuilt, etc. Maybe I'll even try to get a running engine - there's lots to do.

I'm also trying to score a set of mag wheels without breaking the bank, which is proving to be sort of difficult. If this last attempt falls through, I'm going to suck it up and just get a fourth steel wheel, clean it up and FINALLY get tires mounted so that I can roll the car around. This will also allow me to actually bring the car to MY house.

I am really hoping to get to spend at least SOME time with it this weekend. Probably more disassembly (I'll pull the rest of the glass, fenders, doors, etc). I'll be sure to take pictures - my wife replaced my stolen digital camera this Christmas, so I no longer have to hear her complain about me getting my (literally) filthy hands on hers!

Thanks for the interest in seeing this project move...it motivates!

EDIT

Oh yeah, the lenses. I've been playing around with the resin and silicone at work this week making molds of stator vanes and casting replicas, just getting familiar with the materials. At my old job where I got all my experience with this stuff, we used GE products...well I don't have that kind of budget, haha, so I'm learning all the stuff they don't tell you about the products.

The silicone is a little softer than I wanted (45A Shore), but it's good for not having vacuum/pressure eqipment because it's thinner which means little/no bubbles without a degas cycle. It also means faster mold degradation. I'm still playing with curing the resin - it's a little finicky.

I've been talking with Smithenhiven, and he's going to help out monetarily on the project. I hope to at least be molding the brake lens this weekend. After I make a few lenses, then I'm going to try making the floor mat insert he showed a few posts back.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:51 AM   #58
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
get a fourth steel wheel, clean it up and FINALLY get tires mounted so that I can roll the car around. This will also allow me to actually bring the car to MY house.
Having it at home will make all the difference.

The Forkenswift was sometimes here, and sometimes at my friend's place (depending on who needs the room, etc). Progress is a lot slower when I have to go over there to work on it
MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:35 AM   #59
Driving on E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaX
I'm also trying to score a set of mag wheels without breaking the bank, which is proving to be sort of difficult.
Any luck with this? I'm also looking to do the same thing... but you're probably looking harder than I am.
Matt Timion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Timion
Any luck with this? I'm also looking to do the same thing... but you're probably looking harder than I am.
I may be able to get a set of Melber mag wheels...but they are my least favorite that I have seen - I really want some Cosmic or Pos-a-traction wheels. If I can get the Melber's for a reasonable price, I'll take them. I've found a set of three and am getting Miles to see if he can find me a fourth. If he can, and the three aren't too expensive, I'll get them. If they are too much money for me and you want them, I'll give you all the info.

Attached Images