Distributor issues on my VX - Page 2 - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Old 06-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #11
Registered Member

If you want to try to troubleshoot your distributer, check this thread out. It is for an integra, but the honda distributers are very similar and most of the info should work

http://www.team-integra.net/sections...ArticleID=1112

mrmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #12
Registered Member

Check to see what code the check engine light is telling you.

Civic distributors are notorious for going bad but usually they just stop working completely. Check your connections on the distributor in case they are corroded. It might also be worth it to take off the cap and see if any of the connectors are loose. I've had that happen on a Honda before and a simple squeeze of the pliers made it work much better.

On the never-ending quest for better gas mileage...
Danronian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #13
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
You can bolt up the non-VTEC distributor but you will not be able to adjust the timing within spec. It will be too retarded. So if you have the wrong distributor, get rid of it and get the correct distributor.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
You can bolt up the non-VTEC distributor but you will not be able to adjust the timing within spec. It will be too retarded. So if you have the wrong distributor, get rid of it and get the correct distributor.
Could it be why I have trouble with the actuel one? Cause if so, it is the mistake of my mechanical and I wanna know because having to change a distributor after only a year and a half, for 420$, he would have do give me a litle explanation...

good info thx
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
And if the timing is too retarded, could that cause bad mpg?
GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #16
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to suspendedhatch
Ignition timing is critical to your mpg. It will run, but it will fail smog and get poor power and FE.

Civic VX, D15Z7, 5 Speed LSD, AEM EMS, AEM UEGO, AEM Twin Fire, Distributor-less, Waste Spark
suspendedhatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Hmm- it sounds like the slot in the end of a VTEC cam that the dizzy plugs in to is cut a few degrees off of where a standard cam is cut.

Is this just because the mounting/adjusting slots aren't long enough? How many degrees out would the timing be?

Could the adjustment slots of a non VTEC dizzy be lengthened with a dremmel tool or could a slotted steel bracket be bolted to the adjustments slots to compensate for this?

Just trying to save someone some $ if possible (or myself if I ever get a hold of a cheap non running VX with a bad dizzy)
GasSavers_Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #18
Registered Member

Hi guys need some help here. So which model td-41u (non-vtec) or td-42u (vtec) is for 92 honda civic vx ? When i'm checking online they both say VX compatible. VX has vtech so i would think td-42u?
sebass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
Registered Member

If i have a Canadian VX, 5spd - what distributor should they have put in my car?

I have a 1992, and the dist the mech put on has an extra flange open...is that right?? i'm still having issues btw.

My engine is NOT throwing any CEL codes - my issue is intermittent NO START - it will crank strong, but not turn over - the relay clicks, CEL lights, fuel pump primes, then relay clicks again and car will start fine. It's when the CEL light DOESNT light in that process that I know it won't turn over and start
...or will be driving and then it just loses power & dies, or sputters and bucks, while driving then will die. will go for a week running like a top, then just acts as if the fuel gets shut off and rolls to a stop and the dash lights come on when it eventually dies.
The main fuel relay IS GOOD, it's brand new...(see above actions, when it DOES start)
any other ideas that may be causing my intermittent no-start/dies while driving issue?
The ECU? i took it out and it looks pristine inside - no leaking no burns, nothing loose. ???
Attachment 1876

Attachment 1877
wehrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #20
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehrd1 View Post
If i have a Canadian VX, 5spd - what distributor should they have put in my car?

I have a 1992, and the dist the mech put on has an extra flange open...is that right?? i'm still having issues btw.

My engine is NOT throwing any CEL codes - my issue is intermittent NO START - it will crank strong, but not turn over - the relay clicks, CEL lights, fuel pump primes, then relay clicks again and car will start fine. It's when the CEL light DOESNT light in that process that I know it won't turn over and start
...or will be driving and then it just loses power & dies, or sputters and bucks, while driving then will die. will go for a week running like a top, then just acts as if the fuel gets shut off and rolls to a stop and the dash lights come on when it eventually dies.
The main fuel relay IS GOOD, it's brand new...(see above actions, when it DOES start)
any other ideas that may be causing my intermittent no-start/dies while driving issue?
The ECU? i took it out and it looks pristine inside - no leaking no burns, nothing loose. ???
Attachment 1876

Attachment 1877
my vx is exhibiting almost identical symptoms, i wish someone would reply with ideas

chikaskia is offline   Reply With Quote