Distributor issues on my VX - Fuelly Forums

Click here to see important news regarding the aCar App

Go Back   Fuelly Forums > Tech, Troubleshooting and Repair > General Maintenance and Repair
Today's Posts Search Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2008, 08:48 AM   #1
Registered Member

Distributor issues on my VX

Are the VX distributor any different then the DX and the SI one of the same years (92-95) or its all the same.

Mine has give up on mine this morning and need a replacement one and the junkyark where I had look only has LX and DX and according to there site, the VX and the SI share the same distributor, is that true?

BTW, if your gas tank is empty, do u still have the fire on?

GasSavers_BIBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
The Non-VTEC ones have a different bolt pattern and won't bolt up, so you need the VX or Si one to work.

Honda Civic VX Info/Links
Remember to use good Webiquette!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee View Post
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
GasSavers_TomO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

Damn, well thx for the info. And Tomo, I had change my distributor not even 2 years ago (less then 20k miles) and I already have to change it. I bought a new one at the time. Is that just bad luck or what? Well I think I will have to hope that this one is ok.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #4
Registered Member

Send a message via AIM to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via MSN to GasSavers_TomO Send a message via Yahoo to GasSavers_TomO
Where did you get the distributor from, Honda or NAPA, or the like? And was it a rebuilt one or a New one?

Quote:
controversy is an idea thought up by weak people who are too afraid to hear the truth.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:18 AM   #5
Registered Member

I dont have the info right now, but I will inform myself.

And you, where would you buy it, and a new or a rebuilt distributor?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2008, 11:49 AM   #6
Registered Member

I've only needed to buy a distributor once. Bought it from NAPA it was a gold level refurbed unit. This means that all serviceable parts were replaced with new parts, ie. the coil,rotor, igniter, sensor pickups and bearings were all new in it. That basically meant that only the casing and shaft were not new. They have a silver level refurbishing which is just the faulty parts were replaced. That unit is cheaper but a little less reliable.

In a nutshell, I get refurbed units, but refurbed to the point that they are new, lol.

Quote:
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #7
Registered Member

Well Tomo, got news... Well mine was a rebuilt one, but the point is the distributor I have is a TD-41U on my VX!

that's the one of the DX and the LX one, the NON-VTEC.

1. TD-42U
1992-1995 Honda Civic & Del Sol VTEC 1.6 Liter $124.95

2. TD-41U
1992-1995 Honda Civic (Non-VTEC) 1.5 Liter $124.95

Could that be why is already going away, and why did he works all that time ??

Help plz...

Here is a link to the TD-42U specification (http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=398 )

And the one for the TD-41U (http://www.streetimports.com/product_details.asp?id=352 ).
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

And the piece come from At Pac - Auto Part Distributor ( www.atpacauto.com ). Its a canadian shop... NAPA is 430 rebuilt, and AT Pac is 350 new (DT-41U... I supossed the DT-42U is about the same price...).
Old 06-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #9
Registered Member

What in the Dizzy went bad? Did you first try the coil or the ignition control madule. I don't understand what the nature of your problem is.

Cheers,
Chris
GasSavers_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher View Post
What in the Dizzy went bad? Did you first try the coil or the ignition control madule. I don't understand what the nature of your problem is.
Well when I try to start it, the distributor wont fire it up, there is no fire and the check engine light is on. First time it did it when the car was hot and he restart when it get cold (after about 20min). But last day, it was hot and humide outstide and the car simply not started at first.

I dont know if it could help, but I noticed that when I have those problems, the check engine light stay on and the car wont make that sound that the car make when setting (I think is the water pump or something like that...).